• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front 44 almost done...still steering issues

fatwreck

NAXJA Forum User
So, I ordered a bunch of parts for my steering from this page:
http://www.vintagebronco.com/newber...h/tre/tre2.html

I got the ES2233L, ES2234R, ES2027L. I then bought all the DOM and appropriate sleeves from Poison Spyder Customs.

I plan on using a ES3096L at the pitman arm (which has 22mm thread) and then the ES2027L where the draglink connects to the tie rod.

My problem is this though. The tie rod end (ES2233L) with the hole in it....has the hole tappered from the inside out. So the draglink can't go on the outside like it is supposed to. Also, the draglink end (ES2027L) doesn't even fit in it. The smaller TRE that I'm using for my pitman arm does, but that doesn't help me since it will be on the wrong side.

Someone have some input for me?

Here are the pics of my almost finished project:
IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4028.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG

fatwreck said:
So, I ordered a bunch of parts for my steering from this page:
http://www.vintagebronco.com/newber...h/tre/tre2.html

I got the ES2233L, ES2234R, ES2027L. I then bought all the DOM and appropriate sleeves from Poison Spyder Customs.

I plan on using a ES3096L at the pitman arm (which has 22mm thread) and then the ES2027L where the draglink connects to the tie rod.

My problem is this though. The tie rod end (ES2233L) with the hole in it....has the hole tappered from the inside out. So the draglink can't go on the outside like it is supposed to. Also, the draglink end (ES2027L) doesn't even fit in it. The smaller TRE that I'm using for my pitman arm does, but that doesn't help me since it will be on the wrong side.

Someone have some input for me?

Here are the pics of my almost finished project:

Who tapered your TRE?

fatwreck said:
No one, it comes with a taper. This is the one....it's tapered from the rear to the front. What's up with that?
IMG_4028.JPG

Mine didn't come with any taper. That hole is originally for a steering stabalizer, which doesn't need a taper. Unless you got it from Poisen Spyder too and they tapered it, you're going to have to get it re-reemed with a 7 Degree taper.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Just out of curiousity, what's that bracket behind the coil bucket in this pic? The one in front of it is the track bar bracket, correct?
Billy
Appears to be his shock mounts.

That's why they use this TRE so that it can be tapered from the opposite side, it will be big enough then to fit hte larger TRE. everyone does it. That's how you get this setup to work. You'll need to find someone with a tapered ream or buy one and do it yourself. It's not real tough if you buy the ream.

xj4rocks said:
That's why they use this TRE so that it can be tapered from the opposite side, it will be big enough then to fit hte larger TRE. everyone does it. That's how you get this setup to work. You'll need to find someone with a tapered ream or buy one and do it yourself. It's not real tough if you buy the ream.

They are pretty pricey though.

xj4rocks said:

Now that makes sense. I thought for sure though that with all the Chevy stuff....it would fit together. The ream was just needed for the pitman arm so that you could use the larger TRE. I avoided that one by using a TJ style one and going with a 22mm sleeve for my draglink.

I didn't know that I was going to have to ream the TRE with the hole already in it. Ok....

I guess I need to find someone with a ream. I refuse to pay $50 for something that I will only use once.

Thanks guys.

fatwreck said:
Now that makes sense. I thought for sure though that with all the Chevy stuff....it would fit together. The ream was just needed for the pitman arm so that you could use the larger TRE. I avoided that one by using a TJ style one and going with a 22mm sleeve for my draglink.

I didn't know that I was going to have to ream the TRE with the hole already in it. Ok....

I guess I need to find someone with a ream. I refuse to pay $50 for something that I will only use once.

Thanks guys.

I've seen them for upwards of $100! :shocked: I bought like $100 worth of parts from a local custom 4WD shop and he reemed mine for free in about 3 minutes. A machine shop wanted like 20-30 bucks!
Good luck,
Billy

Back