• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crate engines or longblocks

xj paddler

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where to find 4.0L crate, or long block engines? Also where are good sources for master rebuild kits. I need to try and get a little bit more out of my 88 maybe a small cam and header. I am looking for any advice I can get. this ride will be my daily driver as well as a tripper.

Later Heath

xj paddler said:
Does anyone know where to find 4.0L crate, or long block engines? Also where are good sources for master rebuild kits. I need to try and get a little bit more out of my 88 maybe a small cam and header. I am looking for any advice I can get. this ride will be my daily driver as well as a tripper.

Later Heath

I think this would be your best bet

http://www.automotix.com/engines_by_size/jeep-amc_l6-parts.html

I installed a re-manufactured engine from Motor Works about a year ago and have had no problems. A friend of mine runs his own garage and has used them for a long time. He says they have very good process controls and he has had very few problems with there engines. He has told me horror stories about other re-man engines and won't use anybody else. PM me if you want more info.

http://www.motorworksengines.com/

I used Motorworks on my rebuild also and so far (approx. 20K miles) I have been really happy. I didn't do anything to wild when I put everything back together. I don't like to install a bunch of upgrades at one time, it makes dialing everything in a real pain. I did install a Borla header and new FlowMaster cat-back exhaust when I dropped in the new motor. The only thing I would do different would be a little porting and valve work on the head with a mild cam. The guys on the performance section of this site are a great place to gather info. Now that my motor is in a working good I would like to do a few performance mods; I'm looking at the Ford 5.0 injectors and boring the throttle body with a spacer. Down the road a couple years I still may rework the head and swap out the cam for that little 'extra' enjoyment for my right foot.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input from everyone. It looks like I will probly pull the moter and build it myself. hopefully it will be the cheapest way I can Fix the problem. From what I can tell all it really needs is a new set of rings. but while I have it out I may have to beef it up a little. I could use the extra power, for hauling gear and more Kayaks.

Thanks agin Heath

Most folks want to Crawl around in the creekbeds. I just want to get to them when there flooded:)

Back