• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purely Cosmetic

LehighU01

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into making my 2000 XJ Sport slick looking for 95% street use. I'm not looking to trick it out, just make it a little different. I'm looking into Altezza lights, clear corners, the usuals for the exterior. But I was wondering if anyone has tried the brushed aluminum dash kits on the interior. I've seen them in other cars and the wood grain ones in XJs but never the aluminum in an XJ. If anyone can provide me with insight (pics or advice) or if you think I should just flat out not do it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Regards,
Brian

I used to have some pics of the brushed aluminum dashes, but i cant find them anymore, ill search around some.

Run a search and price match, you can get em for cheap sometimes, also check ebay.

Check out my site for some good links and shiat for "street jeeps" hjeepxj0.tripod.com

The problem with those stick on brushed aluminum, carbon fiber kits and the wood kits for that matter is that are unable to confrom to the round shapes of the dash...especially in the case of a 97+. As a result they look added on and have edges that can catch on things. I have the aluminum dash bazel, it fits perfect and looks sharp, and sicne its lazer cut and behind the clear glass, there is no chance of it catching on anything.

If you dont have a Limited, you may want to consider getting the factory wood kit, youll still be unique since not to many Limiteds are around.

XJguy

XJguy said:
unable to confrom to the round shapes of the dash...

What 86 XJ are you driving? pre 96 dashes arnt round ANYWHERE.

97 is a little bit roundier, but the dash kits still look good IMHO.

Most full GOOD kits carry a hefty pricetag though (300ish)

hjeepxj said:
What 86 XJ are you driving? pre 96 dashes arnt round ANYWHERE.

97 is a little bit roundier, but the dash kits still look good IMHO.

Most full GOOD kits carry a hefty pricetag though (300ish)

Look again...all the corners are rounded, its contoured and openings are radiused the lower part is curved. Other areas like the center console and pocket below the glove box are compound shapes. Ive seen several kits installed all were the $400+ variety, laser cut etc., but its makes no difference, same shortcomings. But its up to the end comsumer some people dont mind it, to each his own. The cheap kits actually fit better because they are not made from the real material they are made to look like, instead they are made of a rubbery material and so they contour very well..but look cheap. Its always something.

XJguy

LehighU01 said:
I am looking into making my 2000 XJ Sport slick looking for 95% street use. I'm not looking to trick it out, just make it a little different. I'm looking into Altezza lights, clear corners, the usuals for the exterior. But I was wondering if anyone has tried the brushed aluminum dash kits on the interior. I've seen them in other cars and the wood grain ones in XJs but never the aluminum in an XJ. If anyone can provide me with insight (pics or advice) or if you think I should just flat out not do it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Regards,
Brian

OK...you said wanna make it a lil different....and then to do that you'll use "The Ususal"
Clear corners and such are just a sign of joining the heard IMHO...You can make your XJ stand out by doing things that aren't the norm....fit some 5.9 or GTP vents to the hood, or try that spoiler that the euro XJ's got, but stay away from the Pep-Boys Isle of poor taste....

Remember, just because it's not stock, does not make it "Different" or nice...just means you dropped cash on less then OEM quality.

Back