• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake lights dont work?????please help

mark

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, been a long time since ive been on the boards, my brake lights dont work anymore, and when i called jeep about parts it got me thinking, since mine is a 90 6cyl with cruise control, it has a different switch, so im thinking, since my cruise control hasnt worked for about 3 years, can i use a non cruise control switch, and just plug the vac hose that hooks to the switch, or does the brake light wires go through the yellow cruise control box, and maybe removing that would solve the problem? any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, i have to get the lights working so i can get my DD back on the road.

thanks
mark

no fuses bad, and when the dealer said something about the different switches, i was wondering if removing the cruise control box might cure the problem.

oh yeah and my switch has a plunger type switch that hits the brake pedal, the switch its self isnt attatched to the pedal.

Is yours an auto.?
My 90 4.0 l. auto. with cruise has two different swiches.
The lower is for the brake lights and I don't think that it's wiring has anything to do with the cruise system.
The upper one with the vac line is the cruise disconnect and I believe it's wiring is the torque converter disconnect.
I shouldn't think that removing the cruisecontrol box under the dash will help any.
If you have a new switch and nothings working maybe go back and check for proper wire connections, ground, ect.

can i use the non cruise brake switch? the dealer here has no switches in stock, so i dont want to order one that doesnt work, the non cruise switch is $10.25 and the one for cruise w/ the vac. line is a little over 20. the cruise doesnt work, so if i can get away with it, i might as well used the cheaper switch

I could be wrong but I don't think that the upper switch with the vac line is for the brake lights. It's a vac dump for the cruise and the wires are for the tc disconnect. If you have an auto..
The lower switch, the one mounted on the brake arm and against the rod, is the one you probably need.

Had the same problem. but my brake lights stayed on and the cruise control is toast. Replaced with a non cc switch. Works fine. Plus as you stated it's cheaper. Juice

Back