• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ, np231, 8.25 open, auto, non-abs

I'm curious about swapping in an 8.8. Mostly, I just want to know what I need to make the brakes work, and if the pinion yoke needs a different u-joint.

Do I need a different master cyl for rear discs? i expect I do, but don't know which one.

My goal is for a small lift, 2", 3" max. This is a daily driver, and will be used for camping and mild offroading. I want a good flexy suspension, but little lift. I don't want the headaches of driveline angles, steering geometry, etc.

I plan on running 31" or 32" tires, depending on what I can fit with major fender trimming. I don't run, or plan to run hard trails, so this is sufficient for me. I'll be looking for an 8.8 with 4.10 gears, and a matching front D30. I really want the rear discs, though, and also am curious about how good the 8.8's lsd is. Does anybody know?

Thanks,
Geoff

You need a new pinion yoke if you want to run a 1310 joint (OEM XJ). Some will chime in with the part number. Any driveline shop will have it.

The LSD is OK stock, but add one or two clutches and it really tightens up nicely.

CRASH

Back