• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding axel

N.S. Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
Was having lots of problems with my disco D30 axel, vac.motor, lines ect. So I shimmed the fork over to lock it in full time. This worked fine for awhile. The other day something snapped, and when I took it apart to see, a peice of the fork body had broke.(where the shaft goes through)
I would like to weld the collar to the axel halves and do away with the shift motor. Hence a one piece axel.
I don't have the money to buy a solid axel and seal, and need to get back up and running asap.
If I take the shift fork out, will there be enough support with the halves welded up? Will welding cause the axel to go brittle? What if I just tacked it? Strong enough for low speeds?
Sure need help before I do something stupid!

Burn it, it will be fine. A couple of tacks is all it takes to lock the shift collar over.

Use brake cleaner to get the oil off before you burn.

The axle does not see any load, other than torsional, so it does not have to "support" anything.

Andy

Let me know how it goes. My 90 repeatedly looses vacuum in the front disco. I would like to put the cable actuated one in but $200 is a little more than I want to spend on a 200,000 mile rig. I have a Lincoln Powermig 200 so welding is no problem. Also, make sure you weld the right side. It might make removing the axle difficult in a u-joint replacement.

dennisuello said:
will you be able to remove the axle shafts if it breaks witht he collar welded to the axles shaft?

If he welds it to the inner shaft, the outer will slip right out. The inner will only come out with a bit of grinding, that's why I recommended tack welds.

CRASH

CRASH said:
If he welds it to the inner shaft, the outer will slip right out. The inner will only come out with a bit of grinding, that's why I recommended tack welds.

CRASH

ok, was just wondering. i had disconnect 30 in my old YJ, but never did any serious work on it.

All done!
Every thing seems OK on the brief road trial. I only use it on low speed trips around home and the mountian.
I've only got ramps at home, didn't think it would be so awkward to get at with a shield on!
Snow melt dripping, laying on ones back, good way to get shocked. Ha Ha
Tacked on the inner axel, two places 180 apart, can grind off if necessary.
So far so good!

Back