• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need tire size opinions

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ with 115K. Right now I'm up 2" in the front and stock in the rear. This spring my tires will be worn out so I'm gonna go a little bigger. I will also being putting in a 2" full length AAL in the rear to even things up. I got 235/75/15 on it now. I know that I can do 31" tires stock with no trimming and I'm not planning on going any bigger than that n the next five years since this will be my DD going to college and I will being paying off loans.
I don't get to wheel very often but when I do its usually on the beaches so there will not be a lot of flexing. I am debating on putting 30x9.50 or 31x10.50. First of all, how much taller are the 30's compared to the 235's? And what tire size would you guys recommend? I am planning on BFG All-Terrains if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Dean

search, this topic is greatly discussed. Maybe instead of asking for opinions you should do research. What type of tire do you need and feel as though would provide you with the best of both situations driving on road, adn partial offroading???? ever thought about airing down a AT tire in sand....it's a thought.

You are the one that's going to drive it, search about consequences before you just slap anything on there. Do you feel as though you should regear for 31's most don't...will your mileage suffer bad....RESEARCH no one can tell you how to build your rig and what would make you happiest for the places you use it and how you use it. If you want people to tell you how to build it then go to JU

As right as you may be CU, I had been pleasantly surprised by how friendly this sight was until I read this post and seen the same flaming I see trying to research on pirate. I may be out of line if this type of question is normal from DDC and I'm not meaning to step outta line. Just was caught off guard by your reply. DDC the main thing with any forum you go to is to search first, ask second. I've been guilty of the same thing as you many times but a search will get you better results trust me.

well, I'm not asking you to build my Jeep for me, I'm just asking for input since I'm on a tight budget. It's not like I just jumped in front of my computer and typed this up without researching it. Every search came up with stuff like regearing for 31s which I'm not doing, I run 3.73's and will keep it there for a while. If people aren't allowed to ask for some input then why is this forum here?
And have I thought about airing down AT's? Yes, I have done it and have had no problems. Are you suggesting I go with muds?

thanks
Dean

For the kind of wheeling you do and your budget, don't go any bigger than 30's. Since you can't regear, for drivability and fuel economy reasons, your 235's are actually the best choice of all.

Save your money, finish school and then go nuts.

RR3

DDCxj said:
Every search came up with stuff like regearing for 31s which I'm not doing, I run 3.73's and will keep it there for a while.

Has the Jeep been regeared to 3.73 by you or a previous owner? If so, you'll do fine with 30x9.50 BFGs (I wore out three sets that size). But you should make sure what gearing you have, because the stock gearing for a 4.0 auto is 3.55, not 3.73. Not a huge difference, but enough that you'd definitely notice it when going to 30s.

not my intentions for flaming, but more over to reinstate, have a goal or a plan in mind of where you want your rig to be. then work backwards and research what would be good equipment/ what would be bad, what would be best for this or that. per say gears east coast favors a lil wheelspin, west coast low crawl.... just meant like that not meant to burn him up in flames

I do agree with you that this is a very nice place to post etc.. , maybe i came across to hard in my first reply, but I do appreciate the more friendly atmosphere here then on PBB. sorry DDc if u took it as me flaming you for posting that

with searching, which i have done alot of, you often find many many sides or different viewpoints and get to read old threads, current threads and future plans. Just say for example that you get people saying I'm gonna buy this cuz i hear it's awesome..and its' working great...a month later it dies on them or something goes wrong, sometimes these things you can find in searching.

Personally I'd level off your jeep to 2 inches all around, and get 31 inch AT's 3.55's are fine with 31's you won't have some of the umph..but it is a lot nicer and the sand wider = better 10.5 compared to 9.5...so you gain rougly near 10% more tread width(that's a roughtimation). Go with a tire that will get a long tread life too. As flex isn't important 2 inches is fine to run 31's without getting into shocks etc..

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. About the 3.73's, a while back I was underneeth and thought I read 3.73 on the tag or cover but I will look closer to make sure. I have heard of some stock XJ's with 3.73's.

CUxj I agree that the 10.5" wide would be better in the sand. I've never seen any but do you know of any 30x10.50? If not I'll probably be going to the 31's for that reason. The 4.0 has more than enough pop for how I use it.

thanks again
Dean

BFG AT KO specs, 235's = 29"x9.1", 30x9.5 = 29.5"x9.4", 31x10.5 = 30.7"x10.5"
So going from the 235 to the 30x9.5 gains you virtually nothing at all, to answer your actual question.
Stock would have been 215's (27.6") or 225's (28.3").... I think for your uses 31's would work OK.
Since it sounds like you will be keeping it that way I might suggest though that you should think about adding a aux tranny cooler (guessing it's an automaric?) and replacing the speedo gear since 3 inches or so of tire extra from stock will be throwing off the speedo now a good bit.
http://www.jeeptech.com/javaAps/Speedo.html
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/allterraintako.jsp <-- imagine that tire specs for BFG tires actually on the BFG site :roll: but I'll cut you a break this time ..... I must be getting old I have pants older than you :rolleyes: hell, in fact the computer I keep my vehicle maint. records on in the garage is older than you...
HTH,
Mike B

cu I would like to appologize for my reaction to your post. I'm glad you corrected me on your intentions. I agree on the tire selection and being that i'm running 35's with 3.54 gears still, I can say that the 31's should be no problem at all for you. go with the 31's you'll be happy with the looks and content with the highway performance in my opinion. Again sorry cu and I'm glad I was wrong.

If I were going ot mainly be in sand I'd try and find some 30x10 or 31x11 or something along those lines.

Go 49" Iroks or go home. :wave1:
j/k I would go with some 31 and trim what little bit I had to. 3.73 and 31s will be pretty good with an auto.
DIG IT!

big tires and stock gears like say... "35's and 3.55's" would prob create some more heat issues. I run 3.55's and 31's fine for me at the current moment, I haven't had any heat issues yet. I dont' see how driving on sand is worse, usually sand dunes are nice and flat maybe some hills. I would think rock crawling it would be worse as far as heat goes because your vehicle is moving often at extremely slow speeds.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be going with 31x10.50 and if I need to then I'll add the tranny cooler.
I'll try to look a little harder next time but after going through 2 pages of threads my eyes started getting a little blury.

Dean

I run 33s and 3.55s till next month and no heating issues and I do rockcrawling.
DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:
I run 33s and 3.55s till next month and no heating issues and I do rockcrawling.
DIG IT!

Closed or open cooling...closed are usually more prone to say "heat exhaustion" :rof:

DDCxj said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll be going with 31x10.50 and if I need to then I'll add the tranny cooler.
I'll try to look a little harder next time but after going through 2 pages of threads my eyes started getting a little blury.

Dean

Keep your stock gears, go with 31's, and save the $600-$700 you would spend on gears for a winch, armor, tranny cooler (as you said), or something else.

Wheel that bad boy till you get your loans paid off, then regear & go to 35's.

Just my humble opinion...

Back