• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end clunk

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clunk in my front end. It happens in 2wd and 4wd. It occurs if I'm on an incline and accelerate from a standstill. When the suspension unloads it clunks. It feels like its coming from the drivers side. I've looked for shiny spots for something loose and checked the LCA bolts and track bar bolts. Could it be a bad ball joint or something else?

Take a look at your steering gearbox, shock mounts, u-joints (axel and driveshaft), track bar.
Gearboxes have been known to get loose and sometimes the bolt hole in the body for the track bar will get out of round.

Are you positive it's in the front end? The older-style rear driveshaft was known to clunk if it wasn't greased, same goes for teh front which I'd recommend removing just to narrow down possible sources. How are your motor mounts and tranny mount?

sidriptide said:
what about your motor mounts??
mike

You are a winner!!! I had my wife stand on the brake and rev the motor until it clunked and watched the whole engine shift. Driver's side motor mount is busted.

I have had a similar mystery clunk in the same spot, under the same circumstances for some time. I am waiting until Spring to replace my UCA bushings, as I thought they might be the culprit. Now I have something else to check!
Thanks!
T

What year, how many miles, how much off-road (ab)use?

Sounds to me like control arm bushings.

Back