• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition and window electrical problems

tellicorick

NAXJA Forum User
I've got something going on and hadn't put it quite together yet. My FSM hasn't showed up yet for me to take a look at the schematic; so I'm tendering a question to the technical audience. My 95 XJ sometimes doesn't want to crank. It will crank fine sometimes and sometimes it won't have cleaned and tightened the ground, but still does it. Seems that if I cycle the auto shift lever it will fire up. Question: is there a neutral switch on the gear shift that may need adjustment?

Additionally, sometimes my electric windows work and sometimes they don't. When I open and shut the driver's door, they will then work. Switch here also that needs adjustment?

Thanks,

There is a neutral safety switch on the transmission. Likely needs cleaning.
Check the wire harness from the door into the door frame for broken wires, which can cause your windows to operate intermittently. I had to splice in a new portion on mime.

tellicorick said:
I've got something going on and hadn't put it quite together yet. My FSM hasn't showed up yet for me to take a look at the schematic; so I'm tendering a question to the technical audience. My 95 XJ sometimes doesn't want to crank. It will crank fine sometimes and sometimes it won't have cleaned and tightened the ground, but still does it. Seems that if I cycle the auto shift lever it will fire up. Question: is there a neutral switch on the gear shift that may need adjustment?

Additionally, sometimes my electric windows work and sometimes they don't. When I open and shut the driver's door, they will then work. Switch here also that needs adjustment?

Thanks,
As far as the windows, the rear passenger on my 93 wouldn't work all the time. I had to take the switches out in the drivers door and tighten the connections and I haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.
Mike Harris

Back