• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need so advice

XJ Rob

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 xj and i have a 3in lift with 31s on it and it is just not cutting it anymore. I want to put an 8in lift on it so what all would i need to make this work. I wanted the 8in rock ready kit but it cost to much so i was thinking 6in lift with spacers. And all so i mant 35s but now I am thinking 33s for the clearence. So I just need some advice.
thanks, Rob

need some advice

I have a 1990 xj and i have a 3in lift with 31s on it and it is just not cutting it anymore. I want to put an 8in lift on it so what all would i need to make this work. I wanted the 8in rock ready kit but it cost to much so i was thinking 6in lift with spacers. And all so i mant 35s but now I am thinking 33s for the clearence. So I just need some advice.
thanks, Rob

Re: need some advice

I have a Skyjacker 8" lift. Its O.K. but the thing is, there isn't much room for modification. For the money I would invest in a cheaper lift and put the rest of the money on other things. From what I've read, a lot of people in this forum fabricated their own. Also if I could do it again I would go with a long arm kit. I've heard good things about Tereflex and Rubicon Express, even Rusty's.

I have about 5.5" in the front and 6" in the rear. Most of the stuff for my lift came from people on here. I spent less than $500 total on my lift. The main thing would be brake lines, wheels, and control arms. Oh yea I run 33x12.50 Cooper Tires too. They worked with stock rims but did rub on compression. Now with the differeent BS they do not rub. WHat type of lift do you have now. Add a BB like Daystars for $125 and new LCA and UCA and brake lines and you will be set.

33" tires are awfully small for 8" of lift. Then again, I run 34's on 8" :guitar:

I would get over the idea of not trimming and keep the lift around 6" unless you are planning a front 44. 8" is going to require more investment in the D30 than is worth it (and so will a 6" lift IMHO).

Having said that, I think you need to ask yourself a lot of questions about your budget. If you are starting a front D44 from scratch, you have a lot of custom suspension options that you should definintely explore. If you are set on keeping the Dana 30, then think about drop brackets or long arms, and figure out how much the loss of clearance will affect the kind of wheeling you do.

Running 35's is a lot more than obtaining lift height. There are transfer case considerations, front and rear axle considerations, driveline considerations, and a bunch of other stuff. You can do some crazy stuff with 33" tires on a 5" lift, and you can save yourself thousands by taking this approach. Something to think about, for certain.

Nay

I think you are overlooking something more important than just how many inches of lift you want. What about drivetrain? Stock axles will not cut running 35s especially the rear D35:nono: The front will work with a newer set of shafts with 297x or 760x joints but the rear will need to be addressed with a Dana 44 or something bigger. The only reason I dont jump to something big like 35s or bigger is the cost of upgrading the axles to something that can handle the larger tires.

The drivetrain is all irrelevant if all you do is cruise the mall :D

AARON

Well first thing about the axle if he has the chry. 8.25 he will be ok wilth 35's but I agree on the dana axle. you will need the SYE if you haven't goten one installed already. 6in and spacers sound ok if you not going to be too hard on it, but if your going to beat it up then I would save the money untill you can get a nice 8in long arm kit.

Back