• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are my alternator options???

turbobaja1835

NAXJA Member #1299
I am running a red top optima that I love. Go on deployment, come back six months later and there is still enough power in the battery to start the jeep. My question is, what are the options out there for alternators that are higher output? 100, 140, 160 AMP??? I just pulled those numbers off the top of my head. Where can I find one? I just saw a 160 on ebay go decently priced.

The plan is of course for a winch to go on the front, two electric fans, offroad lights, nice sound system, and while we are at it, AC adapter for the laptop. Need more juice.

Whats the preference out there in batteries? Red top or yellow top?
The yellow top is better for winching right? but the red top is better for long life as long as it isn't drawn on too much?

Thanks, Joe

92 XJ 31" BFG AT's, Cut fenders, Stock axles(soon to be changed) and the best for last. 4.7 stroker

http://www.alternatorparts.com./
Very nice guys, Very straight forward. I bought the cs-144 140A/175A Gm from them. Unfortunately it did not fit (1 inch too big in Dia.). So.... I went with a powermaster 87A/141A direct drop in from truckperformance.com. I WILL NEVER order from them again. Shipping took a month, even though they advertise 3 days (im not one to B*tch to them, send an email and they lost a customer). I emailed the guy on ebay (I'm pretty sure it's still the same guy) who makes those 160A alternators. If it's the same guy, he has been in business for over 15 years and his like 7 person staff or something has combines experience of over 50 years. It looks like he has a good warranty, but only if you BIN. Then of course there is Mean Green. If money is TP to you, go for it. HTH.

You asked for options, there's always a Preimer Power Welder alt, might as well get the whole welding system to go with it. They're pricey though (I think it's over $400 for just an alternator.)

Are the alternators in XJs regulated or unregulated? I've got a 1994.

about a year and a half ago i got a 140 or 160 amp alternator from mr.alternator.com for $195 the meangreen and powermaster alternators comparable to mine were about $350-$395 ! ouch ... i forget which of those two .... one of them has a real shitty warranty onlu like 90 days or someting lame like that. mine is a AP denso unit with a one year warranty.

Have a Mean Green 140amp alt with an 850 amp battery ( I think it's an Optima, can't recall and its to cold to go pop the hood LOL). Anyways, I've been very happy with both of them. More then enough power for my winch, lights, stereo etc.....

The Mean Greens are pricey, about 350$ I think, but the old adage is true.......

After toasting two factory alts. and an old tired battery, the extra money spent was well worth it. One less thing to worry about leaveing me broken on the trail. Good luck.

Back