• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone done this?

B Diddy

NAXJA Forum User
Completely cut out the rocker and weld in some square tubing in it's place. I'm looking to have no loss of ground clearance & good strong rockers. Any tips, advice & pics would be appreciated
Bill

I saw a page a few years back where they did that; unfortunately, I can't remember the URL but they cut off everything from the pinch seam to a bit below the door and welded square tubing in. There were also a few threads in the last couple months about rockrails and there may have been a few pics there.

B Diddy said:
Completely cut out the rocker and weld in some square tubing in it's place. I'm looking to have no loss of ground clearance & good strong rockers. Any tips, advice & pics would be appreciated
Bill

Sounds like what CRASH did.
Rocker.jpg

JnJ - that's exactly the one I read! Should have known it was from Pirate, but it's saved this time.

Jim

B Diddy said:
Bill

I just did this a few weeks ago with 2 peices of 2x2 1/8 walled square tube and 2 cross braces on each side. Tacked them to the rail and rocker in 6 places. I actually may have gained a 1/2" and they look like stock. Haven't painted them yet but I can hi lift them to the top of the 48" jack without any movement. Haven't had time to get pictures but if you ask TPI MJ about them he will tell you they were fun to do without a plan of attack.

Let the :flamemad: begin from the "welding clan" but I use what I can get my hands on for FREE. I will test them on a rock soon.

does CRASH have a writeup on his? What size tube is that? 2x6?

MuddyXJ said:
I just did this a few weeks ago with 2 peices of 2x2 1/8 walled square tube and 2 cross braces on each side. Tacked them to the rail and rocker in 6 places. I actually may have gained a 1/2" and they look like stock. Haven't painted them yet but I can hi lift them to the top of the 48" jack without any movement. Haven't had time to get pictures but if you ask TPI MJ about them he will tell you they were fun to do without a plan of attack.

Let the :flamemad: begin from the "welding clan" but I use what I can get my hands on for FREE. I will test them on a rock soon.

I would like to see that, it seems that you only have 2x4 whereas most people use 2x6

OneTonXJ said:
Real men use 3x5"

Sean

I just finished my 3x5's yesterday and I'm painting tonight.

One thing I found is that the XJ rockers were thicker towards the back, so I welded a 2x3 angle on to the pinch seam then slid the tubing on top of that so it would be 'angled' to follow the body line. I'll take pics tonight prior to paint.

Back