• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ready to chop my fenders

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I got a new Milwaukee Super Sawzall for Christmas and am ready to do some sheet metal trimming.

What blade do you all recommend for the cleanest, easiest cut to the fenders?

Would you advicate taking the fenders off the vehicle to do it, or just leave them on?

When I put the TJ flares on, how would you suggest I attach them to the fenders? I was thinking to glue them on with some sort of adhesive, then drill holes and bolt them on...

TIA

Dirk DeYoung
1985 XJ "Cottontail"
1996 ZJ "The Truck"
"It's not farmers without farmland."
"Eat. Sleep. 4x4. Repeat."

Don't use a sawzall, use an airsaw if you can it cuts WAY better then the sawzall. The sazall will be really choppy and you will probally have to use a grinder to smooth it out. I am getting ready to cut with an airsaw I will post pics on monday.

shannon

I had the same problem with a Sawzaw...too choppy. I ended up using a Jig Saw.

not sure about tj flares but for sheet metal cutting try to use a fine tooth blade for a clean cutting.
-G

go slow and use a fine tooth blade

for the front i would suggest taking them off and using a jig saw with a fine blade as being the smoothest. but seeing as you have a sawzall, not a jig saw, i would suggest putting some tape on the foot of your sawzall, so it doesn't mark up the paint, go slowly, and have someone else hold it steady on a bench. good luck.

i started mine w/ a sawzall sharpe edges all over the place ended up using a cut-off wheel on my grinder real fast and smooth. i didnt do the back yet but im using the grinder to do it. you probably should use a hammer to fold the fender up after its cut so the cut edge of the fender doesnt thrash you tire.

I used Rotozip and it worked real good for me.

Back