• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Green Brake Fluid

RedBull

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what would cause Brake Fluid to turn green-ish in color. Or is this a chance that some Mechanic but something else in the resevour, on accident instead or brake fluid. A Jiffy Lube company could of pushed the wrong button. But is there a chance the fluid could or would chance color.
92XJ Sport I6 4X4

Unless somebody here knows something I don't about brake fluids I would do a 100% bleed of that system right now. Brake fluid is one fluid that you never want to be contaminated.

Is it Anti Freeze? It would, smell/taste sweet..... I would suggest the smell test though. How green??? what shade? I would prolly flush it though just to be safe
Lucas

Brake fluid constantly contaminates itself. It absorbs water - it can't help it - it and water are like: :cheers:

Here's what I run: ATE Hi Perf fluid

It absorbs less nd still boils higher. This is even more important for the hydrolic manual clutchs used in XJ's. The slave is in the bell housing and it can get pretty hot in there when you're toasting the clutch (using it as a tool!) on a summer run.

bburge 93 manual trans

Copper brake lines? :wstupid:
Couldn't resist,
Mike B.

I'm not sure I understand the underlying facts surrounding your brake fluid. Did you notice the green color after Jiffy Lube added fluid? If so, then what could have happened is some moron at Jiffy Lube (and Jiffy Lube specializes in hiring morons) topped off your brake system with LHM brake fluid. LHM fluid is green--it's petroleum based and is pretty much only used in Citroens and Rolls Royces. AND it's very antagonistic to silicone based DOT 3-4 fluids. You absolutely have to flush your brake system now lest your rubber components turn to Jiffy Mush.

Erik
88 Comanche

Erik the Red said:
...pretty much only used in Citroens and Rolls Royces...

If that's the case I'd wonder why they have so much of that stuff on hand that they could confuse it! I don't see many of them coming into Jiffy Lube :D

GSequoia said:
If that's the case I'd wonder why they have so much of that stuff on hand that they could confuse it! I don't see many of them coming into Jiffy Lube :D

LHM fluid is also known as hydraulic system mineral oil (HSMO). The stuff is a blend of mineral oil and additives, and brake systems that use it require different types of rubber components than found on silicone systems. I understand HSMO has a high boiling point and is rust inhibiting, but it's also expensive and cannot be mixed with other fluid types. Does Jiffy Lube stock a lot of it? Interesting. It's possible the fluid is appropriate for hydraulic systems in large reservoir commercial vehicles.

Erik
88 Comanche

make sure after u flush, fill and bleed the brake the system properly, that you GO BACK THERE AND RAISE HOLY HELL WITH THEM.

not ONLY do you want your money back, but you also want compensation for YOUR time and materials you had to put IN to your jeep to make it right.

if i sound angry, its because when I was in college, and i didnt have the space/tools etc needed to do an oil change, i brought my beloved jeep to a quckie lube place and when they changed the filter, they left the rubber o-ring from the OLD filter on the housing and mounted up the new filter right over the top of it!!!!!!!!!!

SOMEHOW i drove to and from school (370 miles each way, for a total of 740 miles!!) and it was fine. 2 days later on a COLD cold morning, i drove it a bit hard with COLD OIL in it and it BLEW OUT all over a wal-mart parking lot

it made a HUGE mess all under the hood and under the underbody.
i caught it in time to shut off the engine.

i had it towed to the quicke lube place and tore them a new one.
i also stood there while the dumbass who did it originally DETAILED my engine/unerbody (i threatened to bring it to a professional steam cleaner and send them the bill)

anyway
sorry for the rant, but seriously. make sure they make good on it!

my $.02
take it or leave it ;)

CaptTrev

Back