• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idiot Emergancy Brake Light Problem

RedBull

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ I6 4.0 Sport 4X4
A new problem has started to arise, during braking the Idiot brake light turns on and off while braking. Has anyone seen heard or know what causes this. I know it is not the Parking Brake being left on becuase I do not use the Parking Brake. Any Help is needed and any smart A$$ reply are also needed, those do make the problem easier to work on.
To relist the problem, The Parking Brake light turns on and off during breaking. I have no idea where to start trouble shooting this problem.

The brake light will come on if the emergency brake lever is up, or the brake switch in the proportioning valve is on or if there is a short to ground on the wires which go to the emergency brake or the proportioning valve switch. The proportioning valve switch will turn on if the pressure is lost on the front or rear brake lines.
Dave

DaveB has it right.

There is a switch in the prop valve that goes on when there is a difference in pressure between the front and rear brake lines. You may have a leak, you may have a couple of stuck wheel cylinders or front calipers.

This isn't something to wait on. First thing, check the master cylinder and make sure you have fluid in both reservoirs. Take a good look at all of the lines and fittings to make sure you haven't corroded through some where.

That's possible, but I personally haven't seen a single stuck caliper trigger the service light. Good place to start, though.

Front calipers are a piece of cake to replace. If it's been dragging for long, check the rotor. Replacement rotors are cheap enough I don't even bother having them turned.

ChiXJeff said:
That's possible, but I personally haven't seen a single stuck caliper trigger the service light. Good place to start, though.

Front calipers are a piece of cake to replace. If it's been dragging for long, check the rotor. Replacement rotors are cheap enough I don't even bother having them turned.

Rotors are fine just the passanger front is dragging some. I have order the new Calipers and should have them install in a few days and I will see if that fixes the problem. Thank you everyone and any other suggestions are always wanted

RedBull said:
Rotors are fine just the passanger front is dragging some. I have order the new Calipers and should have them install in a few days and I will see if that fixes the problem. Thank you everyone and any other suggestions are always wanted

check the rubber hose going to the caliper i have seen more than a few times the inside of the hose will collaps in when the piston tries to return . pull the caliper and try to push in the piston if it wont move open the bleader if it moves then replace the hose. i know it doesnt solve you problem just a lil bit of info

Back