• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ no start question

Backdraft

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all. I gotta small question about an MJ im lookin at buying. Stats are 89 MJ/4.0/AX-5/NP231. Guy says it was running great and just died on him going down the road. He said after looking at it there was a wire from the CPS that burned in half against the exhaust so he fixed it(spliced back together). Now, after the splice job it still wont fire off. Ya think the CPS coulda shorted out just before the wire burn or anything like that? Or is it possible that something else can now be causing it to not get any spark? Id try and figure it out, but i cant start snoopin around till its mine. BTW, hes wanting 500 bucks for it. Thanks for any bright ideas.

MIke

Backdraft said:
Howdy all. I gotta small question about an MJ im lookin at buying. Stats are 89 MJ/4.0/AX-5/NP231. Guy says it was running great and just died on him going down the road. He said after looking at it there was a wire from the CPS that burned in half against the exhaust so he fixed it(spliced back together). Now, after the splice job it still wont fire off. Ya think the CPS coulda shorted out just before the wire burn or anything like that? Or is it possible that something else can now be causing it to not get any spark? Id try and figure it out, but i cant start snoopin around till its mine. BTW, hes wanting 500 bucks for it. Thanks for any bright ideas.

MIke

get it and figure it out...$500 is nice as long as it's not rusted to hell

if you cant get it running, you can part it out and at the very least make yer $$ back....at the very least

I'm guessing that if the rig died contemporaneously with the frying of the wire, that his splice job simply didn't work OR that the wire was burned at a second but undiscovered spot. Also the CPS wire is normally held away from the manifold by a clip. If the seller simply spliced it together and then let the thing flop back onto the manifold, then it's just going to melt through again. I'm not sure if an improperly mended CPS wire could harm the computer. Perhaps someone else might have an answer to that. What you might do is offer to buy the vehicle on the condition that a new CPS solves the problem.

Erik
88 Comanche

Back