• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know about headers

dbkirkpatrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 xj laredo, have a k+n fipk on it and am looking for some headers and exhaust I have found a good deal on hedman headers. has anyone used them? does anyone suggest anything else? keep in mind I am a 17 year old working at subway

Don't know about Hedman headers on XJ's. They worked fine on the muscle cars of yester-year. The general concensus here is you can't go wrong with a Borla on an XJ. Performance and fit are excellent, I really like mine. I realize the Borla is more money, but I learned a long time ago that doing a job only once is worth a couple hundred bucks in my time and aggravation. Good Luck.

Woody

dbkirkpatrick said:
I have a 91 xj laredo, have a k+n fipk on it and am looking for some headers and exhaust I have found a good deal on hedman headers. has anyone used them? does anyone suggest anything else? keep in mind I am a 17 year old working at subway

Borla has proven themselves on the XJ, also look at Doug Thorley's tri-Y setup.

Thanks, I think I'll try the thorleys, not because I think that they're the best but I can find a deal on them and I am really cheap. I also think that they have a lifetime warranty

Not completely sure on this one, but there might be a clearance problem with Thorley headers and lifted XJ's. A search might help clear this one up. (IIRC I was told this by Kolak on the JU boards)

I went with a Borla, Hi-flow cat, and Dynomax cat back 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.

John

kreature said:
I know this isn't conventional but what about a header for optimum power between 3000 - 6000 RPM.

The race course
I belive the mike leach header is your best bet from what I've seen, i know it has 2.5 in colector and the tubes are a better design from what i've seen said about them.

kreature said:
I know this isn't conventional but what about a header for optimum power between 3000 - 6000 RPM.

The race course

If you're looking for a header to install on a 4.0 that's going to see mainly high rpm for racing, your best bet might be the Clifford Performance dual outlet header. You can fabricate a true dual system behind it with an X-pipe and dual 2" pipes and mufflers if space allows.
Otherwise, go for the Mike Leach header and have a single 2.5" system behind it.

I just got the Banks header and what a difference it made! The stock one is ok but it's cast iron which forces the length of the runners to be short, a bit too short for me. The Banks put's the torque peak slightly higher up in the rpm band but it is significantly improved over factory and the XJ does'nt fall on it's face at 3500rpm or higher. It's made of 409 stainless with 1/4" thick flanges, it's impressive to look at in all it's design excess for a gearhead like me. :cool:

Back