• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid Plates

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a loaded question, but who makes the best skid plates? My XJ has been lifted about 2.5 " and will probably not go up more the 2" more. I'm looking for maximum protection and still be able to change the oil without removing it!

Also, what should I protect first and in what order should I place my concerns (i.e. differential, transfer case, gas tank, etc)?

Thanks,
Robert

Rocker protection first, by far.

Second would be transfer case or gas tank. For a bolt on tcase skid, I like Brian Harmon's kit (XJNation.) It's a full width, outside-the-uniframe job.

I wouldn't bother with an engine skid. The engine is tucked up pretty well on a lifted XJ. Your steering components will absorb most of that punishment.

ChiXJeff

I agree that rocker protection is probably the first thing you should protect. I would say the TC is probably a close second.

I built my own Rock rails, TCSkid and gas tank skid.

TCSkid http://myweb.cableone.net/twizum007/stuff/tcSkid/tc_008.jpg

Rails http://myweb.cableone.net/twizum007/stuff/rails/rr2.jpg

Gasskid http://myweb.cableone.net/twizum007/redb/images/REDB_038.jpg

Obviously not everyone has the means to build their own. I would say Skid Row makes the best TCSkid and I like Custom 4x4 double tube nerfs.

I am lifting my xj tomorrow, and am currently waiting for my tc skid to arrive. I went with Skid Row's tc skid. They are local to me and I like there designs. As for the rails I will be doing my own. Just need a little money and diesign time. I'll throw up some pics of my designs thru the process. Check out Skid Row's stuff.
www.skidplates.com

-Royce

Personally I say gas tank. Both me and a friend with stock XJs have both hit our gas tanks. Maybe its the the places we go or something but he hit his 3 times last year and I hit mine on our 3rd trip out this year.

He has hit his rocker once and I've never hit mine, this is my first season though.

I would place gas tank and rockers at the top, in that order.

After that I want to do a TC skid but not just to protect it better but something that can slide over stuff easier and maybe has a bit better clearence.

My vote would be most definately a t-case skid. You can still drive home with beat up rockers,but if you bust the transfer case,you ain't going anywhere!:D My list of importance in order:

1) T-case skid
2) Gas tank skid
3) Rocker skids
4) Engine skid
5) Front skid

I'm no EXPERT here,just EXPERienced:rolleyes:

I have Rusty's crossmember (stock depth,but drops 'case 1"),transfer case, and engine skids. I'm very pleased with these products. I also have a Mopar gas tank and front skid,as well as home-built rocker skids.:cool:

I've got (From front to back):

Mopar Front Skid
Rusty's Engine Skid
Rusty's Transfer Case Skid
Mopar Gas Tank Skid
Custom Rock Rails

I love all of them and have done a good job of bashing them. The transfer case skid has bent a little but that's probably because on more than one occasion I have put a lot of the Jeep's weight on it. I can't blame the skid for that. I bought all of them used. I did the rock rails last but I should have done them earlier, it's fun to use them to get over obstacles. I plan on plating my uniframe because it's getting beat up too.

I agree with Mike but would put an engine skid alongside the tcase skid for a 1-2 punch back! They are all important...in their own function. I haven't got a lot of use from an OEM front skid, but the factory fuel tank skids are tough, as is Rusty's Tcase skid.

My rockers on 2/3 Jeeps are gonged and past history so I don't worry about them anymore, but if you gong an oilpan, tranny or t-case hard enough, the party is over. If you twizzle up a driveshaft it isn't always a killer or trip-ender, but always a PITA.

If my MJ could only tell tales...an engine skid would have saved me a nice pile of $$$ and time. It only takes one little rock to zap ya straight out of being the Lizard King to being Trailmash the
Pebble-Poker.

Yep! Take our advise for what it's worth to you only. Woody and I have our own "special" techniques for 'wheeling.
1)Tread lightly
2)Be easy on the throttle and just let the engine's torque do the work for you
3)If all else fails,matt the skinny pedal 'til you make it,or break it :laugh:

Heres the skids I have and were added in the order of importance I thought they should be.

1) Rusty's transfer case skid
2) Tomken gas tank skid
3) Rocky Road step rails
4) Tomken transmission skid (not really worth the money)
5) Younger Bros D30 diff guard
6) Younger Bros 8.25 full ring guard

I also agree that the oil pan is not very exposed, especially if you are lifted 5" :) It would be VERY difficult for me to put a rock up there to damage it.

I agree with Georgia Mike for priorities. Rocker panels are cosmetic. Punch out the transfer case or gas tank and you're not driving home. Protect what's most important first, then go for the rest.

My own personal list:

1- Gas tank skid- much better than walking home (also my local Jeep club requires it)

2- Engine skid- Motor oil belongs inside the motor

3- T-case skid - AT fluid belongs inside the T-case

Skids

Take a look at Off Road General Stores Super Nerfs for rocker protection. Easy install, all parts included, easy fit, good finish, ordered on Monday and arrived by Friday.

They have a strong Transfer case skid, also an easy install and perfect fit. On another XJ i was helping install on, the crossmember skid needed to have a section ground out to not interfere with an Atlas II transfer case.

I have also seen OFGS front winch bumper, very nice product.

The Mopar fuel tank skid is an easy install because of the perfect fit. Good luck on which ever you install.

Back