• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worked on my Exo today

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
managed to get most of the roof section done
1248917-P1200230.jpg

aw nuts, I scrolled down too far and lost the effect. At first I had only seen to the very bottom of the grill and it looked like you were going "trailready" style with the front end. :D Looks good though, nice job.

Ary

Economos said:
Sweet, looks heavy though.
Naw it's pretty light actually, used 1.5x .120 wall, no where near as heavy as the spare tire and confer rack I used to have up top

mad maXJ said:
you could have made it stronger with half the tube by triagulating...

Thats something that Beezil would say! "Where's the triangulation in that cage?":D

I think it looks awsome! May be a little bling bling with the chrome;)

AARON

noticed you are running fullsize or close front axle and i was wondering with your coils (or are they coil overs?) at that angle are there any adverse effects?

small pederson said:
noticed you are running fullsize or close front axle and i was wondering with your coils (or are they coil overs?) at that angle are there any adverse effects?

It is a full width High Pinion Dana 60 and I am running 16" travel coilovers on all 4 corners. And the exo is still bare metal, it will eventually get painted before I am done with it

Looking good. alot more tubing then the one i am working on right now. Keep some pictures of your progress posted. Id like to see how you protect the rear 1/4" panels and hood. I have to finish mine before feb13 for the reliable show in pomona.

Erik H.

Fullsizexj said:
It is a full width High Pinion Dana 60 and I am running 16" travel coilovers on all 4 corners. And the exo is still bare metal, it will eventually get painted before I am done with it
Are you gonna rattle can it? Bedline it? or POR-15 it (since it now comes it many colors)?

imma honky said:
Are you gonna rattle can it? Bedline it? or POR-15 it (since it now comes it many colors)?

POR-15 blows. It will just flake off, especially in the sunlight. Now the MetalReady is good stuff.

ZachMan said:
POR-15 blows. It will just flake off, especially in the sunlight. Now the MetalReady is good stuff.
I don't think you prepped it right. I bought one of the small "starter" kits before last summer, and applied it here and there. Using the DIRECTIONS supplied, it has lasted thus far with 0 show of wear. I wire brushed it clean, applied Metalready, then applied 2 coats of black POR-15. Looks just like the day I applied it.

POR-15 is great for anything that does not see sunlight. Like interior or underbody stuff. I painted a tire-carrier before with it, and it faded and flaked within 1 month in the summer time. Stuff that hasn't seen sunlight is still like new.

gearwhine said:
POR-15 is great for anything that does not see sunlight. Like interior or underbody stuff. I painted a tire-carrier before with it, and it faded and flaked within 1 month in the summer time. Stuff that hasn't seen sunlight is still like new.
Well that would explain why I haven't had any problems then! Gotcha, duly noted :)

I want to tie it through the roof to my interior cage and also have exterior pillar mounts as well, as far as painting, I will probably use the old faithful rustolium rattle cans , tried the new hammerite stuff and so far so good so that is what I will go with for now

Back