• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Cold Air :(

Most likly you have a leak in you A/C system and need to have it recharged...If you have not already switched to R134 this would be a good time to do it.

Kudzu said:
Most likly you have a leak in you A/C system and need to have it recharged...If you have not already switched to R134 this would be a good time to do it.
I have to replace the evap. core in my 93 and was considering converting to 134a although, I have some R12 that I was going to save for my 71 GT. Anyway. I've been told that you use less 134a because it expands more than r12 and if you use the same amount, it won't be as cold. Is this true? How much 134a do you use in the system compared to r12?
Mike

roll your window down if in NY, start checking if in CA, is the clutch working on commpressor or off and on quickly, have some one check pressures to see what is wrong, too hard to fix AC on the net, but now would be a good time to go with 134a.

A/C no work no more

A/C??? You bastard, its friggin -5* here in MN right now, I could only wish I needed A/C right now! Thanks for rubbing in the cold weather us northerners have :mad:

Anyhow, the R134a conversion is fairly cheap (under $30 usually) and the refrigerant is also cheap. However one thing you have to consider is that the change in refrigerant can cause pump failure pretty quick, especially on older pumps, I am not sure on the exact science/reason but the R134 is pretty hard on pumps designed for the older refrigerants. HTH

Josh

Yah, we are on our way out of a cold snap here in NH that froze the water line buried 3 or 4 feet underground to my house. Pipes in the house are fine. -40 wind chill recently. I had an HVAC tech tell me not too long ago that the new refrigerant is composed of smaller molecules than the olderstuff and they will seep out of the older compressors quite easily. Your system would be drained in no time according to him. Don't know how true that is.

Well I have had my 86 converted since 134 came out and yes I have a leak in my system but once I charge it its good for 2 summers...Before hand with R12 I was having to cherge evry summer...Of course I don't have to pay someone to do it so it was cheaper that way...Last time I check R12 was like $40 a can and R134 is about $4.

Kudzu said:
Well I have had my 86 converted since 134 came out and yes I have a leak in my system but once I charge it its good for 2 summers...Before hand with R12 I was having to cherge evry summer...Of course I don't have to pay someone to do it so it was cheaper that way...Last time I check R12 was like $40 a can and R134 is about $4.

any online how-to's? suggestions? comments? Warnings? On Board Air is good, but not in my budget as of yet... 4wd conversion, then all that other cool stuff

Back