• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Rear axle do I have D30 or 8.25???

WNT1

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if someone could help me determine if I have a Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25 in the rear of my 96 XJ Country Edition? Thanks for any help!

if it has a flat lip that is on the bottom that hangs below the diff cover it is a 8.25 if its just oval its a D35

BUCKYXJ said:
if it has a flat lip that is on the bottom that hangs below the diff cover it is a 8.25 if its just oval its a D35
It does have the flat lip on bottom..Thanks Now I have to figure out what gears are in it???

If you need to test the gears on your rig, here's one way:

Get some chalk, and one person willing to give you five minutes of their time. Park the rig on a flat and preferably even surface. Use the chalk to mark the rear driveshaft with a horizonal line as close to the "middle" as possible. Mark a tire (on the same side of the XJ) with a verticle line, as close to being "straight down" as possible. Watch as your partner backs the vehicle *very slowly*. Do two things: i. watch the revolution of the driveshaft and count the passage of your line, ii. watch the mark you made on the tire. When the mark on the tire comes around to where it started, have your partner stop. They should be going slowly enough that you can do this with a fair amount of precision. Unless the gearing has been changed, it should be between 3 and 4 revolutions.

If the driveshaft revolves:

About 3 times, you're geared at 3.07.
About three and a half, 3.55.
Three and a quarter, 3.73.

8700XJS said:
As long as we are on the subject. I have an 87 with D44 in the rear and D30 I think in the front. Whar are my gears?

Kenny
I would guess 3.55s but there should be a tag.

an easier way to figure out the ratio without a tag or cracking the case or crawling under a moving vehicle...

chock the front wheels. put the tranny in neutral, jack up one rear tire. mark the d-shaft and rotate the raised tire two full revolutions. if it doesn't want to rotate then you have a LS and you need to raise both tires and rotate them both one revolution. then just count the rotations of the d-shaft.

Thanks for all the info guys...w/ all your help I have discovered I'm running 3.55's Again thanks for all the useful information

Yeah, I have a '96 XJ country: Chry 8.25 and 3.55's.

Fixed it for ya ;)

Jeepsqueak said:
If the driveshaft revolves:

About 3 times, you're geared at 3.07.
About three and a half, 3.55.
Three and three quarters, 3.73.
About 4 times, 4.10.
And so on...

Back