• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inaugural Post - 8.8 Question

XJack

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! I've been lurking for quite some time here, and wanted to say Hello!

Also, I'm halfway through building an 8.8 for my XJ, and was wondering if I should expect any driveshaft length issues when I swap out my 8.25"?

There's easily 1" of compression left in the shaft on level ground, and 4" or so of extension left.

Any thoughts from those who've upgraded?

99XJ
4" Lift
AA HD SYE w/ Spicer CV Shaft

Should be okay. Maybe you should lift it a little more to make sure. DS length is one of those wait and measure type things.

That's what I was figuring, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had a horror story.

The thought of a lift shackle crossed my mind, but I'll see where the angles & lengths fall after it's in.

As it is, I measured it out and it looks okay, but it's tough to get a definite measurement considering I turned the perches 3 degrees to ditch the shims I'm running right now.

I installed an 8.8 w/disc and limited slip in my 98 w/3.5 inches of lift . The rear was from a 98 Expo and I set the pinion angle at 6 degrees. I have put about 10k it since the install and have had zero problems.

rdefoe said:
I installed an 8.8 w/disc and limited slip in my 98 w/3.5 inches of lift . The rear was from a 98 Expo and I set the pinion angle at 6 degrees. I have put about 10k it since the install and have had zero problems.

Did you have to install an adjustable brake bias valve to compensate for the discs? The 8.25 in my 2001 XJ w/6" lift croaked this weekend while doing some heavy towing (dragging a friend's Chevy 1-ton 4x4 home for him) and I'm debating the rebuild/upgrade issue. I don't know what the costs for the 8.8 are around here (N. AL/ S. TN) but I will have to swap out the gears no matter what (running 4.56 & 33's) so I'm thinking the 8.8 may be my best bet. I saw M.O.R.E.'s mount, cable & yoke for the swap (around $318 if I remember correctly); would need to add gears (around $200) and a Powertrax No-Slip (another $420 or so) as a minimum. That puts me at $938 w/o the 8.8 or the time/labor for someone to set the gears up. A friend that does a lot of drag racing says the 8.8 is pretty easy to set up & requires no special tools (well, I've got a dial indicator & press already) to do the job; can anyone confirm this ? Any and all info concerning this swap is greatly appreciated since I don't want to do it halfway. I prefer to get it right the first time around (obviously that didn't work out with the 8.25...)!

NN4S said:
Did you have to install an adjustable brake bias valve to compensate for the discs?

i didn't modify anything to compensate for the disks with my 8.8 and it still stops far better than stock. if you feel you need to you can remove the o ring from the proportioning valve. you can also install a zj combination valve. http://www.stu-offroad.com/brakeconv/bc-6.htm

NN4S said:
I saw M.O.R.E.'s mount, cable & yoke for the swap (around $318 if I remember correctly)

the MORE kit is a wast of money. spring mounts are $20, the flange is $25, u-bolts are $20, shock mounts are $20, and e-brake cables are $40. thats only $125. if your handy you can make shock mounts and reuse your e-brake cables ( http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=426352 ) and knock $60 off of that. there is no way in hell i'd pay $318 to MORE. but thats just me.

matthew

If you're careful and handy, you can reuse the explorer spring perches.

The driveshaft yoke adapter is Spicer Part # 2-2-1379.

I haven't set mine up yet, but I've got a friend w/ a track Mustang and he said they are pretty easy to set up.

Thanks for the help! I thought it seemed a bit pricey (especially considering that it's supposed to be a popular swap). I guess I can remove them with my plasma cutter & reuse them if I don't get the shakes too bad. As far as the cable goes, I'm all for using what's there if it'll work right & be reliable. I've never swapped something other than parts that were made for the vehicle before & want to know what to expect in advance (at least as much as possible!). It doesn't sound too much more involved than the lift itself was; the change of mounting points & cable hookup seem to be about it. Should I go ahead & change the pinion angle while I'm changing the mounts or leave it alone since the shims are buit into my spring packs? BTW, thanks for the great links!

I may try setting the gears up in it myself as well since I'll already have it out & on the bench; if I can't get it right I can always throw it in the back of the truck & take it to someone else! :D

Last edited:
Back