• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wiper question

Mikel

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
My windshield wipers ran great until a couple of months ago, when the passenger side one started going a bit farther on the downward stroke, and started hitting the windshield frame. Now when I stop the wipers, instead of coming to a stop all the way down, they stop 2-3" higher. Is the motor starting to go bad?
Thanks,
Mikel

95 XJ 4.0 5sp

Your linkage has become worn and the wipers now overtravel the home position. This is a common problem as our vehicles age. Threre are replacement bushings available for newer model XJ's in the "HELP" line of produucts (p/n 49445) that will work for ours too. You have to remove the cowling cover to get at the wiper linkage and remove it along with the motor, then pry the old plastic bushings out of their ball and socket assemblies and replace them, then reinstall the whole thing. It's a little tedious to get it out and back in but it will fix the overrun issue for you.

Hi,
Who carries those bushings, Napa, Advance Autoparts...?
Thank you.
Mikel

PS. It does seem like a bushing issue. I just checked, and the drivers side wiper has no play, while the passenger side wiper has almost 2".

I think I got mine at Pep Boys, but AutoZone also carries the HELP line. Just look on the aisle with all the generic service parts. I think they are on a red and white card.

SPSERG said:
Will these bushings work on an older XJ as well?? (1988)

Yes. The card says they fit 1997 thru 2000 but the older ones are the same. I used them in an '88 Comanche.

There are six bushings in the package, three each of two types. The smaller are the ones you need. I have no idea what the others are for, they didn't match up with anything on my wiper linkage.

Spray a little white lithium grease into the socket of each bushing before snapping them back over the ball studs.

I replaced mine on my 93 that I got at the dealership, linkage and motor together, $140, solved the play problem but still goes lower on th passenger side and hits the trim. One of these days, I'll take the arm off and bend it a little.

Mike Harris

Did mine last week. The parts may be hard to find depending on where you are. The price will vary form $5-16 for this part number.

Be careful when you pry the bushing off the ball. Bending the linkages is a possibility. Use a socket and vise to pop out and install the bushings on the arms. Do note the differences in the ends and where they go before disassembly! Youg could easily install incorrectly.

Back