• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Molded Heater Hose's

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I am having difficulty locting a heater hose, the the upper most one that starts at the front of the engine and connects to the water control valve.

A shop suggested I fab my own. Is this possible as it is a molded hose?

Will a fabbed one confome to the bends that are needed? I don't want to waste cash if I don't have too.

If I can what would be the hose's inside diamiter?

I know you hate to hear this but the hoses are still available from the dealer. It's really the best way to get molded hoses that fit right since you can't get bulk hose with that will work with the multiple diameters and tight radii found in the system. I relpaced all mine a year or so ago and I seem to recall that none were over $10 or $12, so the prices weren't that far out there.

My problem is, I ordered it through a buddy who is a mechanic for Chrapsler.

And it has been on back order for the pass two weeks, if not more. Local NAPA or parts supply does not have any either.

The hose on my '90 split just above the t'stat connection. I simply spliced in a straight 6 inch piece of heater hose (5/8" IIRC) using a 45 degree copper plumbing elbow 1/2" - 5/8" to join old and new hose, with a couple of clamps. That was three years ago.

Mine split in the middle of the hose :mad: I tried to get one, but to with my bad luck I could not. I then came up with the idea of putting in one of the prestone flush kit adapters.

I cut the hose right at the break, cutting out the bad section. I installed the flush kit adapter with 2 hose clamps and I was done. I then found out this is a great place to bleed my closed system from since it is the highest point in the system.

DaveD in Canada said:
The hose on my '90 split just above the t'stat connection. I simply spliced in a straight 6 inch piece of heater hose (5/8" IIRC) using a 45 degree copper plumbing elbow 1/2" - 5/8" to join old and new hose, with a couple of clamps. That was three years ago.

My system is the open one... '91 XJ..

DaveD, the 5/8" is that the inside diameter? and did you get that at your local Crappy Tire?

DaveD, the 5/8" is that the inside diameter? and did you get that at your local Crappy Tire?[/QUOTE]
Going by fading memory here, after 3 years, but I think the heater hose coming off the t'stat housing is 3/4" I.D., then reduces to 5/8" further away. Maybe someone else can confirm this? Don't remember where I got the copper elbow, but any good home centre should have this. Even Crappy Tire.

I just bought that hose from NAPA. They had 2 out of the 4 in stock. I'll bet they could get the other two in a day or two. The two that I bought were $12 and $14, so the Dealer is not a bad idea after all.
Bulk hose doesn't work well sometimes, because they have 5/8 on one end and 11/16 on the other end sometimes.

When I swapped out my closed system to the open,I found molded heater hoses that fit my 89' perfectly.
My htr core top connection is 3/4" the bottom is 5/8"
The molded hoses are made by gates,formed w a 90deg.
The short part is @5 or 6",thats the 3/4"
the long part is@ 24" long that's the 5/8"
Htr valve has 4 5/8" nipples
Hose to water pump is 5/8"
Hose to t stat housing is 3/4"
I think this is the part # for the molded hose 4373
I got these at the local AutoZone

Back