• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a long bed MJ too long?

jaggedsteel

NAXJA Forum User
I bought this long box MJ for $700 (I6 aw4) that I was gonna beat up on the trail but after driving it around town some it seems to turn wide like a boat comapred to my XJ. I think it'll be a bitch on the trail. You guys recently told me I could lift the thing like 6" without a SYE so thats what I was gonna do until I drove it some. This thing just seems so damn long! Is it a stupid idea to wheel it? Should I just get a beater XJ? I've got some fab skills but don't think I trust them enough to chop the thing in the middle and shorten it. What would you do?

Thanks

Mike

In some places, I found my 119" WB MJ to be perfect! It can ace some obstacles that make XJs struggle & TJs hung up. OTOH it has a huge amount of rear overhang compared to an XJ (if that's what your used to wheelin) and ya really have to mind where your rear driveshaft is...

I had mine at 6" out back (SOA 44 minus a short overload leaf), 231 and no SYE or case drop. Perfect for 33" with no trimming...

That overhang has kicked my butt a time or three, (get snagged trying to back off an obstacle & the bumper wedged in good) but if you didn't mind giving up some bed, chop it off just behind the shackle hangers...make a simple bumper with tow point and your golden.

IMHO a 113" SWB MJ is probably the better wheeler of the two (haven't actually wheeled one, but watched a couple guys wheel theirs, and they made stuff look easy)

Hey thanks for gettin' my hopes back up on this thing! I can definately chop it behind the shackles and make a custom bumper. That much I CAN do :D
I was planning on SOA in the rear and 5" or so in the front to match. Don't have the cash on hand for a regear right now... do you think I'll run into problems with just 31's? I know the longer the truck the higher it should sit to avoid getting high-centered. I am in fact used to wheeling and XJ but the DD is getting a little too hurt on the trail to keep wheeling it. I could get another one but I already got this MJ....

Thanks

Mike

I ran my 5 speed MJ for 5 months with 33" & 3.07:1. And my auto XJ for about a year with 33" & 3.55:1. It sort of sucked, but both were wheelable. 4.56:1 made them both very happy though.

I think 31's are a little on the small side for a 5-6" Jeep, but that's MHO.

I've got a longbed MJ also. I haven't wheeled it since I lifted it :anon: but when it was stock, I just didn't know any better and I thought it was fine. I did rip off one endcap from the rear bumper, and I've scraped the hitch receiver probably every time I've been out with it, but I think it works pretty well anyway. And if you've already decided to chop the rear to the shackle hangers, you're getting close to the same departure as an XJ, I think.
As far as regearing, even 35s can be run with 3.55s...but I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't want to regear.

the long bed is too long!!!

edit: this is of course my opinion, and may offend some (Phil :laugh3: )

okay it will work, but man, what a pain. I have a shortbed (113 wb) and it is just a hair too long, I think 108 would be perfect with 6-8 inches and 35s. My departure angle isn't too bad since I made a bumper with basically as much clearance as possible, and my breakover angle won't be so bad when I finish my flat-skid. Both will be significantly worse on a long-bed.

that's not to say it won't work even if it's not ideal. If I were you I would make a tube bed, move the wheelbase to 110 (still won't need an SYE at 6"), and chop off as much frame as possible. At least bob the back of the bed, but I think breakover and turning radius are just as big of problems... I hope you don't wheel tight, curvy trails...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't wheel very tight trails and I don't rock crawl. Looks like bobbing it behind the shackles will only gain a little and the thing will still have a crazy wheelbase. I could chop some of the bed in front of the rear axle but I'm not sure if I'll be able to weld everything back in straight. I can't be off since I gotta drive over an hour to the nearest trail, so if the truck wants to do circles on the highway because the rear axle is 1/2" off on one side.... you get the idea. I guess I gotta do a little more thinkin' before I figure out what to do.

What type of terrain do you wheel in? For some stuff, I think the wheelbase and overhang wouldn't be a problem, especially on 6" of lift. I think you should give it a try and see what you think, or maybe make the MJ your DD and wheel the XJ. Bret, maybe when your truck is back out here, you'll have to show me how it's really done. :D

I wheel my LB MJ in clayton OK when I first got it. The only thing i did was a 1in spacer to make it sit level and disconected the sway bar. as for the leanght it wasn't bad I was taking turns easier easier than some YJs. the overhang was kinda sucky every one could hear me come thought he woods since i was slaming down on every rock ledge i went doem but it just went every where i tried and on a 1 to 5 rateing i was running 3+ a big help was the 31in scorpion ATs that were siped running at 12psi. I had may short wheel base guys asking what i had done and it was basicaly stock with even a LS. When i started wheeling my XJ with a 3in lift at 31 BFG MTs i was kinda frustrated that it didn't work as well as the mj but i learned how to work around it. I still have it but its in bad shape and waiting for my shop to get done so i can beezil it kinda lol

I recently bought a longbed MJ and have been wheelin a little to try it out.
It has about 5" or so of lift, 33" tires and a very low profile rear bumper( i.e thin). The previous owner claimed to have made it through the rubicon and had several pics showing it going over large rocks. I haven't been through anything that hard yet but with the 33" tires it all seems easy so far :D

Phil Weeks said:
Bret, maybe when your truck is back out here, you'll have to show me how it's really done. :D

WILL DO! :D :laugh3:

you try and follow me, all I have to do is find a high brakeover spot and your shtuck :laugh3:

By May, mine will be lifted 7 inches (78 inches wide), locked front and rear, pretty near unbreakable, 35mtrs, flat skid, rockers, etc, hydro-assist, and a complete disregard for sheetmetal... bring it on :laugh3:

We'll definitely have to hit up the 'Con and 4dyce a couple times together, and I've got a ReadyWelder, OBA, and lots of tools so we can take care of you after you try and follow me :cool:

mad maXJ said:
WILL DO! :D :laugh3:

you try and follow me, all I have to do is find a high brakeover spot and your shtuck :laugh3:

By May, mine will be lifted 7 inches (78 inches wide), locked front and rear, pretty near unbreakable, 35mtrs, flat skid, rockers, etc, hydro-assist, and a complete disregard for sheetmetal... bring it on :laugh3:

We'll definitely have to hit up the 'Con and 4dyce a couple times together, and I've got a ReadyWelder, OBA, and lots of tools so we can take care of you after you try and follow me :cool:

Yeah, well...well...I can carry more stuff in the back of mine! So there! :D

Well I just talked to a friend who said I should cut it and make it a short bed. He said the bed unbolts from the frame... is this true?

He also said that some of you guys on this very forum have used angle iron and c-channel to reinforce the uni-frame on your XJ's, and that would be the way to go to put the frame back together and make sure it holds. I gotta admit I'm feeling like I can do it now... I mean if the bed does unbolt and all I gotta do is chop a section of the frame out of the middle and the back, and put it together with angle iron reinforcments all the way down the frame rails. If any of you have tips of how to make sure the rear axle is straight please let me know.

If I chop it that brings up another issue... would it be worth messing with the long bed box to try to reuse it or would it be easier to build a new bed? I'm thinking a new one would probably be easier and more practical for trail use. I know some of you are gonna say make it a flatbed but I need to carry stuff in the back so its gotta have at least removable sides and tailgate.

Anyway, the questions I have are:

1. does the bed unbolt like my friend says?
2. after cutting the frame would 1/4" thick angle iron running down the sides be a strong enough support to put the two frame halves together?
3. Cut the old bed or make a new one?

Thanks guys, I'm starting to feel better about this :D

Mike

YES the bed does unbolt. If oyur bed is in good shape it would be ashame to cut it up may people are looking for those beds and there hard to find. you can cut the frams and such but you'll need more tha 1/4 angle running along the fram to make sure it doen right if this is somwthing your going to be beating on off road. I'm cutting my frame a bout a foot past the cab and building a whole now fram and bed back there. if you build the bed you can incorperate so manythiongs like tool boxes and such so its a blank sheet of paper.I have my bed already drawn out and since I work with sheet metal for a living its easy for me. Depending on how big a tire your running it can realy help in fitting bigger tires (I know the MJs have bigger rear wheel wells to begin with)

Alright, so you're saying 1/4" thick angle iron isn't gonna hold it? Would c-channel or 2 pieces of angle completely boxing the frame (at least 20" each way at the split) work? What would you recommend?

Thanks

Mike

Lift it, wheel it, see how you like it, and *then* figure out what drastic, life threatening mods you may later deem necessary. The lift will happen the same way, long wheelbase or short wheelbase, so you may as well do it first and enjoy your truck before risky surgery. I'd highly recommend replacing the rear bumper with a stronger, higher-up version. I'm using 3"x5" 3/16"-wall tube on custom 1/4" thick brackets, but other owners at the MJ Yahoo group have used stuff like 2" round 1/4" wall tubing on the original brackets. The key is to make it indestructible. Who cares if it drags once in a while. You'll learn the trucks limitations and then adjust what line you take on obstacles. No problemo! :D
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'd hate to see a Comanche sliced and diced before you even get out to wheel it. :(
Jeep on!
--Pete

86,88,89 MJs... My own little pow-wow! :D

MJ Yahoo group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeepcomanche/

You make a valid point, Pete. It does seem silly to start chopping before I take it out. I was just worried that it might not make it on the trail being so long with such wide turns. I'd hate to leave it stuck because I don't really wheel with friends and if I can't get it out myself getting help might be tough. Since I wanna chop it I guess it won't matter if I bang it up some.

Thanks

Mike

As the handle indicates, I drive a Silver MJ. It's an LB, and while I don't live where there are rocky trails, just this past weekend I whipped my MJ around a fallen tree without slowing down or sliding and didn't even put paint to tree limb. :thumbup:

If you don't feel comfortable in or want a long bed Comanche, please sell that one to someone that will apreciate it and get an SWB or an XJ.

Comanches, in any condition, are getting harder and harder to find. I'd hate to see another one chopped up when there are other options available It breaks my heart when I see someone has hacked one up to make a "cute little trailer to match their XJ." :bawl:

Oh, BTW, hello everyone! I'm new here! :wave1:

SilverMJ said:
As the handle indicates, I drive a Silver MJ. It's an LB, and while I don't live where there are rocky trails, just this past weekend I whipped my MJ around a fallen tree without slowing down or sliding and didn't even put paint to tree limb. :thumbup:

If you don't feel comfortable in or want a long bed Comanche, please sell that one to someone that will apreciate it and get an SWB or an XJ.

Comanches, in any condition, are getting harder and harder to find. I'd hate to see another one chopped up when there are other options available It breaks my heart when I see someone has hacked one up to make a "cute little trailer to match their XJ." :bawl:

Oh, BTW, hello everyone! I'm new here! :wave1:

You'll get along real nice with Eagle

As for me, wow, I'm sure I'd make you cry :D

MJ shortbed, hacked fenders and bed, bashed the passenger side rocker, front fender and cab, flat black rattlecan paintjob, rocker sliders welded to frame, front suspension chopped off and leafsprings welded up... muuhhahaaha, it's mine and I'll do what I want with it! :D ;) I can garauntee that my MJ is having more fun than yours :p

I think I'm joining this discussion a tad late, but ... better late than never, I guess.

Yes, the bed unbolts. The MJ is a hybrid chassis -- the front half is the same unibody as the XJ (with some additional bracing), and at the back of the cab it mates to a fairly conventional frame. I've seen photos of what WAS a longbed MJ that has been very nicely chopped both before and after the rear wheels, so it is now shorter than a shortbed MJ.

However ... for most purposes I think the XJ is a more versatile wheelbase and configuration for wheeling. Also, the collector/restorer in me says that there are probably 10 to 20 times more XJs around than there are MJs, so I just hate to see any MJ that's basically intact get chopped up and beat to death as a trail rig.

Back to your original question ... I vote to retire the MJ and build a beater XJ for your trail rig.

Back