• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lookingfor info on running Propane

89TrailXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking for info on what it takes to convert my Xj to run on propane. I have a tired 4.0 right now in it, and I have a 4.2 sitting in the garage I am thinking of dropping in. I would like to convert the 4.2 to run on propane. I know a couple people on here have done so, and like it. Can you please help me out with some info? I did a search but didn't find much. TIA.

what about dual-fuel?

That article only covers direct conversion

I don't want to go dual fuel myself. I would like to just stick with Propane if possible. Then I can remove a lot of un-needed junk from the Jeep.

89TrailXJ said:
I don't want to go dual fuel myself. I would like to just stick with Propane if possible. Then I can remove a lot of un-needed junk from the Jeep.

If that article does not make it clear on what you need to do - you need to call a conversion shop...

Its really basic - you need a tank - high pressure line - lock off valve(electric or vacuum) - converter - mixer (carb)

Can advance the timing up to get some power back - you 4.2 should have a vac advance - if not get a distributor that does have a vac advance...

A good ignition module with a lpg curve will fix alot of problems as well...

Matt

Well I understand everything but the carb/mixer. I need to know what one I need for the 4.2, what I have read on them has been confusing.

*Edit- Well found one guy working on the conversion using a IMPCO 300A and the adapters to get it into the throttle body. Guess its time to look for that.

Last edited:
Back