• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forum Sorting

BenXJCA

NAXJA Forum User
Why isnt there an option to sort the forum from the date of the original thread? Like how the old forums were. I am sure it wouldnt be that hard but the sorting options that there are now are kind of redundant in my opinion. Also, what about making new posts a little more blatant.
Thanks
just my 2 cents

That would take hacking the scripts. We have already added several hacks, including the quick reply to help make things more convinient. The more hack you do to the scripts, the greater the possibilty for problems becomes. To change the forum display results is a global change.... not something we want to do.

These forums offer many more options, and we realize some people will need to make a few adjustments. It is simply not possible to make them sort the way the old software did.

Do not look for many more hacks to be applied. There is a new version of the software in the works. It may offer more flexibility, and even a modified threaded view. Until then.... this is what we will work with.

I agree that it should be able to be sorted by date of FIRST post. Although it's entirely understandable why you don't want to hack the code. I'm assuming this is the same reason why it can't be made to view more than 20 at a time? if so I'll shut up about it :)

As far as sorting... that is *not* a current option. That is not how this variety of forum works... and is pretty much standard. Most people are used to it.... we *just* made the change. Not going to make another drastic change. Nope. Don't have the energy. :)

It *can* be made to show more than 20 at a time. HOWEVER, the more messages displayed with every view means more resources to draw the page. We have to keep preformance in mind as wll. Is it better to have 20 messages appear fairly quickly... rather than 30? Yes. As people decide if they want to follow the thread by then, or hit the "back" button". Those that want to follow the thread should be able to wait brifely while the new page is made.

20 messages is a balance. More than that, the dial-up users insist we do not know what we are doing. So.... lets keep it right where it is. :)

Makes sense. Thanks for answering

Back