• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 questions

BenXJCA

NAXJA Forum User
89' 4.0L d30/d35
I am going to install a lock rite in the D30. Does anyone know if the carrier has the thick ring gear or the thin ring gear?
TIA

What gears do you have now?The carrier break is 3.55 and lower/3.73 and higher!

Btw,the only possible difference I know of when it comes to carriers or lunch-box lockers would be ABS!

I believe the 3.73 gears use the same carrier as the 3.55's and lower in the Dana 30 making the carrier break between 3.73 and 4.10. For the Dana 35 the break is between 3.55 and 3.73.

Either way, if his jeep has the stock gears it will be either 3.55 or 3.07 both using the same carrier.

As for the thickness... the gear sets are setup to be a specific thickness to match that given dimensions so there really isn't "thick" or "thin" sets available for these axles.

As was said earlier... the lunchbox locker install is pretty much the same no matter what.

Last edited:
Bender said:
I believe the 3.73 gears use the same carrier as the 3.55's and lower in the Dana 30 making the carrier break between 3.73 and 4.10. For the Dana 35 the break is between 3.55 and 3.73.

Either way, if his jeep has the stock gears it will be either 3.55 or 3.07 both using the same carrier.

As for the thickness... the gear sets are setup to be a specific thickness to match that given dimensions so there really isn't "thick" or "thin" sets available for these axles.

As was said earlier... the lunchbox locker install is pretty much the same no matter what.

Incorrect on both!
The only difference in the carriers is the ring gear mounting flange.The different ratios of gears require different ring gear thickness do to the pinion,the carriers are made different to accomidate this!

I'd say correct on both.

You misunderstood.

There is not "thick" and "thin" gear sets available in one given ratio. i.e. 3.55 thick or 3.55 thin gears.

And yes both the 3.55 gears AND 3.07 gears use the exact same carrier in the Dana 35.

Also both the 3.55 gears and 3.07 gears use the exact same carrier in the Dana 30 reverse rotation.

You're wrong on the D35, the carrier breal is 3.55 so all gears from (inclidung) 3.55 and up use the same carrier.

The carrier break on the D30 is3.73 so everything from 3.73 (including) and up uses the same carrier.

The type of carrier (high or low) does not have any effect on the lockright locker. There is a difference between carriers of the D35 (without trac-loc obviously) in 1993 where the side bore changes.

Basically what im askin is if i will have to remove the carrier to get the spider gears out. I.E. the ring gear is too thick and the gears will not clear it to be removed without removing the carrier.
stock gears in the d30

BenXJCA said:
Basically what im askin is if i will have to remove the carrier to get the spider gears out. I.E. the ring gear is too thick and the gears will not clear it to be removed without removing the carrier.
stock gears in the d30

The issue is getting the cross pin out, which is probably what you are asking. It's OK to grind a little off one of the ring gear teeth so the pin can be removed....if needed. You shouldn't need to remove the carrier to install that locker.

Back