• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backcountry Colorado note & recommend a tank skid

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to pass on my experience and then get suggestions for a good tank skid.
I ordered a tank skid from Ray Greco of Backcountry Colorado - http://www.back-countrycolorado.com. He was at the 20th Anniversary Event in Moab displaying his tank skid. I thought it looked like a real nice piece and after returning home ordered one. That was late October, 2003.
It's still not here!
I've wasted a ton of time trying to get in touch with him via phone and email since he told me on December 8 that it had arrived from his fabricator and would be shipped to me on December 10.
It's still not here!
He has not contacted me once since that email on December 8 despite all my efforts to contact him. So I've sent him a demand letter and will be pursuing legal recourse to get my money back.
I felt obligated to make sure :NAXJA: members were aware of this person/company's business practice :exclamati

On a related note - I still need a gastank skid. So tell me what you think of yours. I'd like one that is wellmade, stout but not unnecessarily heavy, and solidly mounted. What do you like about what you've got and what would you change about it?
Thanx in advance, guys.

Most of the WCGIC is just running an OEM skid. They take about 3 years worth of rock work, and then we dispose of them and obtain a new OEM piece.

CRASH

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
So I've sent him a demand letter and will be pursuing legal recourse to get my money back.

Interests:
My XJ and my twin boys, in no particular order.
Attorney
NAXJA Member #:
Jeep Year:
93 2dr

:D Oh yeah, I'd make him regret he ever tried to pull this on you. Go get him!!!!

TRNDRVR said:
Interests:
My XJ and my twin boys, in no particular order.
Attorney
NAXJA Member #:
Jeep Year:
93 2dr

:D Oh yeah, I'd make him regret he ever tried to pull this on you. Go get him!!!!

You know it, Dan.
The feces is getting personal with the fanblades as we speak . . .

and who knew the factory skid was any good?
may hafta find me one of those

anybody excitedly happy about their aftermarket skid?

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
You know it, Dan.
The feces is getting personal with the fanblades as we speak . . .

and who knew the factory skid was any good?
may hafta find me one of those

anybody excitedly happy about their aftermarket skid?
I personally run a Tomken skid. I don't mind how it mounts onto the cross member behind the tank, but the way it mounts onto the 2 hangers in front of the tank leaves little to be desired. The all-threads are the same size for both of them, but one mounts in a place higher up on the bottom of the body than the other. Therefore, I can't get the nut on the shorter side fully onto the all-thread. :(
I can only hope you can picture what I mean.
Thanks,
Dan.

TRNDRVR said:
I personally run a Tomken skid. I don't mind how it mounts onto the cross member behind the tank, but the way it mounts onto the 2 hangers in front of the tank leaves little to be desired. The all-threads are the same size for both of them, but one mounts in a place higher up on the bottom of the body than the other. Therefore, I can't get the nut on the shorter side fully onto the all-thread. :(
I can only hope you can picture what I mean.
Thanks,
Dan.
Yea, I follow. I've not seen one of theirs in person, only in pictures. But I have thought that those "arms" weren't too elegant a means of mounting a skid. Sounds like they're none too elegant in execution, either.

So what's a fair price for an OEM skid?
Anyone have one they'd like to part with after delivering it to Winterfest?
:D

Hey What Rd. - I have a pre96 Rusty's skid plate, brand new. I only jacked it into possition and realized they sent me the wrong one (I have a '97). Since I'm sick of Rusty's I just decided to sell it myself. It's a monster! I wish it did fit. But I now have the correct Skid-Row skid sitting in the garage. Also very nice. PM me if you're interesed in the RUSTY's Skid.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=JS-XJ99

-- Not a very good description but gives you an idea.

Hi, I came across this post, unfortunately AFTER I had already sent this guy Ray Greco of BackCountry Colorado, also known as Geepr1, my money for an XJ Gas Tank Skid. I am currently having the same problem as you, What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong). I have e-mailed him, now they are being returned, and I have been calling and leaving voice mails, and I have tried PM'ing him through some of the Jeep Forums, no luck yet. I was wondering what the final outcome was. Did this guy ever make good?? What did you do/have you done thus far? Let me know. Also, TRNDRVR, I may need your assistance here as well! Thanks! Jodi

p.s. I also found a a guy over on JU, dbxj, that has had the same problems with BackCountry Colorado/Ray Greco/Geepr1 as well. I have PM'd him to see what his outcome was, but he has not logged in yet.http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forum...hreadid=463315&highlight=Backcountry+Colorado

And I see that he is peddling his wares recently over on CO4x4 http://www.colorado4x4.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000141. This site is no longer accepting new registrations, anybody a member over there that might give people a heads up on the shady business this guy is running?

This is old news, a couple of guys on colorado4x4.org were getting screwed by him, but as I recall, he returned their $$$??

I run one from Skid Row.
www.skidplates.com

Very nice skid. Works great. Super beef and mounts in the stock locations. Has a few drain holes. 175.00 plus shipping. I landed on it real hard this past weekend up at Paragon. Held up great. Juice

I also have a Tomken skid. It's sure taken a few HARD knocks without any damage. Moab tested! ;) Another REALLY good skid is made by a local guy here in Flagstaff. PM xjnation on here. If I didn't already have mine, I'd get his!
I followed the post for a bit on JU about Ray. I was sure disappointed, as when I met him in Moab he seemed like a stand-up guy. I guess you never can tell... :huh:

Must be a Westcoast Canadian thing, but for almost all fabrication that i have needed done (axle truss, roof rack, skids, etc, etc, etc.) I just go to my local welding and fabrication shop and have them measure and fab up what i need. I have yet to pay more than 1.5 hours labour plus steel and parts for anything i have bought here. The most i ever paid for something was $100 CDN for an ALUMINUM gas tank skid (1/4" thick aircraft aluminum - weighs only 22 lbs, and is strong as hell...). Don't you guys have fabricators in the US? Support your local business owners, its easier to track them down when and if they screw you over!! Just my two cents (which works out to 1.2 cents US!)
Buck.

Back