• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disco Creaks & Groans

woodrock03

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a set of RE discos on my essentially stock '95 Sport about a week ago. Installation was fairly straightforward, and when I was through the setup looked pretty good, and definetly functional.

I never had any noise from the stock setup, because of course it's a solid rod connected via rubber bushes. I'm finding with the RE multi-piece setup however (2 disconnect end links/snap pins, and a center tube per side), that when the suspension articulates with the sway bar connected, the RE assembly makes a clunking sound - something I didn't anticipate happening.

In a matter of speaking, I guess it makes sense that there's going to be some play in even a tight fitting assembly, but everything else in the suspension is tight and it's kind of a pisser to have this one component clunking around.

So, my question is, do all discos make noise to a greater or lesser degree, or is this just a RE phenomenon?

Thanks,
John

:callme: Well, I just got off the phone with RE, and the guy said "sure, our disconnects make noise, after all, they're only $80.00 or so" :twak: . He also said that all discos in this price range are noisy.

I mentioned Phil Weeks reply to my post about his JKS discos being quite, and he acknowledged that they were, but at a significant cost increase. I told the guy that nothing in their literature said anything about making noise, and that I would have reconsidered had I known. :doh: The other thing is, now that they've been installed, they're mine and are not returnable (no big surprise there, caveat emtor).

The main reason I went with RE (besides cost), was that it's easy to go from the stock center link length of 4" in their kit, to a longer length if I lift the Jeep later on. That's still true, but time will tell whether or not I can live with that clunking sound every time I hit a big crack in the road!!

Happy Trails :wave: ,
John

I've got JKS and they are quiet, too.

Back