• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Joints

Moto

NAXJA Member #576
It is about time for me to replace my front Axle joints, but was wondering if there are stronger or better quality joints that I can install, than what my 98XJ came with from the factory. Any suggestions?

Looking at an older (2002) 4wd magazine there is an ad for joints by CTM (CTMracing.com) that advertise as super heavy duty rebuildable front u-joints. The best thing I can say is regular maintenance to keep them from drying up, which is the only cause I've ever seen for them failing (yes they break, but I've only read about that). If you traverse a lot of deep water that will kill them faster than normal highway driving. Typically the front ones are non-greaseable because the holes that go through the body theoretically weaken the joint. Not as much of a problem on the driveshafts because the angles aren't as extreme, but on the front axles when turning sharply and hammering on the gas it's brutal. Call any of the higher end companies like Spicer to see what they have. I recently bought rear driveshaft u-joints through Randy's Ring and Pinion (deals with Spicer) and got great service but socked with a $14 shipping bill for one u-joint! :doh:

Sounds good. So spicer 760's are sronger than what originally came on my front axle?

Moto said:
Sounds good. So spicer 760's are sronger than what originally came on my front axle?

AFAIK they are the same just new part #.

The CTM's are a solid ujoint with bushings in place of the needle bearings, dunno if I'd want to use them on a DD as you'd need to pull them to grease them, and since they have bushings my thoughts are that they might need greased more often.... maybe not though?
Mike B.

You deffinatly do not want CTMs in a dd with out hubs or one that will see 4wheel drive alot on the street. Plus putting CTMs in a stock shaft is a simple wast of money since the shafts will breal way before the joint.

Does anyone know the actual part number for the 760 Joints, because the spicer supplier than I deal with has no clue what I am talking about. Where is everyone else buying them from?

Moto said:
Does anyone know the actual part number for the 760 Joints, because the spicer supplier than I deal with has no clue what I am talking about. Where is everyone else buying them from?

I got my from Drive Train Driect (www.drivetraindirect.com IIRC) or you can also get them from 4wp..... the latter was less for each, but more for S&H then the former..... If you call DTD all you gotta tell them is the axle and vehicle and they will look it up for you.

Thanks for all the help. I ended up finding someone that actually knew what I was talking about. So it looks as though I am all set, I can get them locally for pretty cheap so I am happy

Back