• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm guys, how much travel in your shocks?

Bender

NAXJA Forum User
For those long arm guys in the 5" to 7" lift range how much travel are in your shocks?

Last edited:
How much lift do you have?Most conversions still use the factory mounting points!

I'm currently at about 5.25" of lift with short arms and running shocks with 11.25" of travel. My shocks limit my droop on the passenger side and my driveshaft limits the droop on my driver side (I adjusted the shock on the driver side so it will limit travel before the driveshaft does for now). At full stuff both shocks are within 1/8" of full compression so I'm getting the full range out of them.

Since 11.25" of travel is quite a bit for most shocks and long arms increase your flex I'd like to know what sort of travel you guys have in your shocks.

What shocks are you running?Ive got 10 3/8" travel shocks and excellent wheel travel.If I go any more Ill have to have a new driveshaft made!

I'm running some Rancho 5000's. My spec sheet is MIA and the download from their site isn't working right now so I can't get the exact shock number. They are about 15.75" compressed and 27" extended.

I do get very nice flex in the front and I'm pleased with it. I'm trying to see the big benefit in travel that a long (or rather longer arm as I'd only extend them maybe 7"-8" ) arm setup would give. It would eliminate that driveshaft bind problem on the driver side I"m currently having but how much extra droop can you really gain still using the stock shock mounts?

I have got Bilstein 5100 shocks. The 12" travel flavor. They are what limits my droop so I really don't know what the furthest I can go.

The real issue be how much upper travel would you lose?Droop is the lightest loaded side of the vehicle,unless you modify the travel characteristics you have to comprimise!

I wouldn't lose any upper travel. I would choose a shock that has shorter compressed length than my current compressed stock mounting distance of about 15 7/8".

That is assuming I keep my current setup.

If I change my suspension to my mid arm design I would just make some new mounting points on the axle allowing the use of a longer shock with more travel....

ZPD, 12" of travel on your shocks.... Thanks for the info.

Here is a somewhat good shot of what I have right now

http://community.webshots.com/photo/64836838/65412992ZSvZds

In a lot of ways it doesn't seem as though running a longer arm will aid much in the flex department (I realise the pro's and con's in all the other areas)

Last edited:
Currently i'm running 14" travel shocks on my 10" lift. The shocks are still the limiting factor, the axle drops down and the coil unseats for about 2". I once had 17" travel shocks in front, had a great flex but the coils lost seat and i actually lost one coil (dropped out on the floor, broke the hold down bracket) so i put in the shorter shocks again.

My long arms flex like crazy and i'm currently thinking how i can keep the coils in place when flexing. Up travel is not limited by the shocks. I have 4.5" ZJ coils up front and 4" spacers.

FarmerMatt said:
Rancho 9012's. 13.96" of travel.

Matt

Same here - up front it uses all the shock... I use a 3" screw in bumpstop pad on the axle end and a lengthened coil tower bumpstop, cut and welded with a section of OEM tower - the coils are free but require the jeep to be all the way flexed out before you can pop the bottom edge off the pad...

Never lost one in normal wheeling - shot both out when my upper link broke causing the front end to over rotate 90 degrees foward... :rolleyes:

matt

I run shocks that are 10" travel shocks. They are about 16" compressed. I have about 5.5" of uptravel with the upper shock eye conversion.

Flexes like crazy but I'm still considering the Bilstein 7100 short body 12" travel shocks. The compressed length of them is still about 16" so that I don't lose any uptravel.

Back