• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pesky 88-90 "little things" I'd like to fix

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
(FWIW all are high mile Renix 4.0/AW4) I was working on momma's 90 today at work...(cleaned IAC and TB, along with all the plugs) and noticed the throttle plate stop screw has a small nut on it...my 88 and 89s don't. Is this something the prev. owner did to bump the idle up?

Pesky Interior Stuff: I replaced the bulb in the digital dash clock on my 88. It lights up (and dims) with the dashlights, but is unreadable in daylight. Any fix besides "get a battery for my watch?"

The heater controls on her 90 are backlit...the 88 does not. How/where are the bulbs (are they same as the other little ones?)

Also on the 90, there is an intermittent buzzing going on...sometimes very faint, other times loud (louder outside at the LF fender area) where is the door ajar/seatbelt buzzer? I'd like to clip it's wings and see if that cures it...The door-open plunger button lights the cabin lights just fine, so assuming it isn't that switch.

On that thought, the 88 cabin lights work when 3/4 doors open...of course the driver's door doesn't light em up. Need advice there too... ( that one probably is the plunger switch)

Thanks O XJ gurus!!!

There is only a single bulb on the right side the Hvac controls. Easy to replace. Not sure if the 88/89 have it, but its simple to find out.

The intermittent buzzing on the '90 makes me think of my '90 where the ABS pump runs intermittently, making a buzzing noise up front. Also the power antenna can make odd noises when starting up / shutting down.
Also there seems to be a short buzz when the headlight delay relay turns off. That's normal with the XJ.
The clock on my '90 comes on full brightness with the ignition, and dims with the dash lights when lights are on. Maybe someone has played with your wiring?

The buzzing sound "COULD BE" the chime module.This is the module that lets you know if key is in ignition,seatbelt not connected...yadda yadda yadda.

imma honky said:
There is only a single bulb on the right side the Hvac controls. Easy to replace. Not sure if the 88/89 have it, but its simple to find out.

Just to let you know my 87 has the back light in the panel.

Kenny

Back