• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big bang theroy

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
:soapbox: You can put me on record for a big fat NO on welding the rear diff. on the D44. I welded it about a year ago and it was fine (asside from the squeeling tires) untill today. I was on the freeway on ramp when I heard a loud BANG.... then no more go go :confused: Well a short tow truck ride later (and $60) and I get to go identify all of the parts poking through the diff. cover. :clap:

Like I said before, for me it is basically a test to see if a spool is for me. I am planning on a regear in the near future, and I will either get a spool then, or a new carrier. It's not for everyone, depends on how and where you drive.

Neil said:
:soapbox: You can put me on record for a big fat NO on welding the rear diff. on the D44. I welded it about a year ago and it was fine (asside from the squeeling tires) untill today. I was on the freeway on ramp when I heard a loud BANG.... then no more go go :confused: Well a short tow truck ride later (and $60) and I get to go identify all of the parts poking through the diff. cover. :clap:

It really makes you wonder they don't weld the diffs from the factory, doesn't it?

CRASH

Shocking.

CRASH

Bad welds can make for big bangs when the go.

I've always welded only gears to gears and never to the carrier itself. The different heat rates of the cast carrier and the hardened gears can make for bad welds that won't hold.
Thorough cleaning of the case is also a necessity when you're finished. Every little splatter and chunk needs to be removed. Gears tend to dislike them later.

10190830725_0.jpg

10190830725_0.jpg

Here ya go Neil!

Now you see if I had those little red X's before this never would have happend :rof:

Big Red X's here too! Must see carnage!

I also have several sets of D44 carriers and spiders and 3.55 gears laying around. all brand new even...

No spool for me. Tired of the squeeling tires. That and the tires that I have on my rig haven't even lasted a year.

It really makes you wonder they don't weld the diffs from the factory, doesn't it?

CRASH

Back