• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio wiring issues, 96 XJ

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
On the wiring harness for the stereo there is a feed called "Acc/Ign" (accessory & ignition) which is not receiving power in any key position. I have checked at the fuse block and that circiut is getting power. I've tried tracing this wire (purple w/white stripe) but can't figure out where it goes to. Does anyone have an FSM for a 96 or any other useful diagrams? The radio began working erratically about a week ago and would turn on and off at random and blow fuses (at the fuse block, not on the radio). Now it refuses to turn on at all. All other wiring checks out fine.

Anyone have other ideas?

--Matt

What happens when you turn on the lights ?I installed a Sony radio and followed the directions.If i leave the lights on the radio stays on too.If the radio is on and the lights are turned on the raido will go off for a moment and come back on.When turning the dimmer switch I can turn off the radio as well as dim the dash lights ???
I have a problem too,but haven,t pulled the radio out to check yet.
Wayne

do you guys have power antennas??? Acc/Ign means that when the ignition is turned it turns on an accessory i.e. the radio, antenna,or whatever else is hooked to it. it is possible that it is a power antenna lead and that your motor might have a short in it. But that might not explain as to why the radio wont turn on at all

Wayne.....did you hard wire the radio into the factory wiring or did you use a wire harness??

There is a few different things that could be going wrong for yah, first of all Wayne you have yours hooked up the the dimmer wire on the car side, that is for your orginal factory radio only, most aftermarket radios dont have the dimmer option like your factory did. Egon you will most likely find that there as a fuse blown somewhere ar a wire shorting out, your best bet is to run a new wire over from the steering column, it will be a larger gauge wire you are looking for and most likely will be black with an orange stripe. make sure you fuse this one also though.

Problem finally solved. Instead of taking the dash completely apart, I ran 2 new circuits. A new +12v feed and an accessory feed (from HVAC system) and then removed the fuse for the orignal circuit. Everything is back to normal and my friend is relieved that his head unit is not toast.

--Matt

Yeah,I used a kit from Crutchfield and did leave the power attena(sp) out.I also had both feeds wired in hot but after looking over the directions i cut one,the wrong one it seems.
I,ll pull the unit out one day when it warms up.
thanks,
Wayne

Excellent. That's what I did, all new circuits... I just used a switch instead of the ign.

Back