• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA bracket broke off axle tube

R

roke40

Has anyone ever had their control arm and bracket brake off the axle tube? Unfortunately it's not from wheeing. My wife noticed this morning before getting in it. Luckily she saw it before putting our 4 month old son in it. I don't know when it would have happened or what would have caused it.

yup, they're weak.

weld it back on and brace it. I think rusty makes LCA bracket braces to reinforce it or something like that, but I'd just make braces outta 1/8" plate.

This is very common, but the the preventative fix is easy. The mount is welded only on the outside, if a bead is run on the inside also they will never come off. Anyone who regularly wheels there XJ or ZJ should do this.

Been there done that. :(
standard.jpg

If you haven't reinforced your LCA brackets yet DO IT. Mine broke on a dirt road requiring the only trailer ride of my Cherokee's life to get it fixed as it was not drivable in that condition.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll take it to a shop and have them weld it up inside and out. I'll get both sides done so I don't have it happen over there.

I have never welded. what does it cost to get these reinforced and something like a miniskid put on? Do you have to remove the... well not the axle, I guess you'd just have to disconnect the LCA, right?

Back