• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New clutch master cylinder leaking

SV1CEC

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I just had my clutch master cylinder changed with a new one, that my friend Eagle send me from the States and (sh**t) the new cylinder leaks worst than the old one.

Can it be that this is something that happens on a new cylinder until everything is seated properly inside or is that wishful thinking?

Thank God I didn't throw off the old cylinder, I have a friend looking for some rubber parts right now, at least if I repair one I won't have that clutch fluid all over my electrics (I know it's not good, that's why I covered everything there with a piece of false leather I had)!

Rgds

E-mail me your address. [email protected] How much was shipping from the US to you? I swaped to a 94 system so mine is available If you wnat it for a spare. It did not leak when I removed it.

SV1CEC said:
Well, I just had my clutch master cylinder changed with a new one, that my friend Eagle send me from the States and (sh**t) the new cylinder leaks worst than the old one.

Can it be that this is something that happens on a new cylinder until everything is seated properly inside or is that wishful thinking?

Thank God I didn't throw off the old cylinder, I have a friend looking for some rubber parts right now, at least if I repair one I won't have that clutch fluid all over my electrics (I know it's not good, that's why I covered everything there with a piece of false leather I had)!

Rgds

Check that the O rings on the lines going into the cylinder were replaced and seated properly...that's a common problem

SPOBI!

They do not have o-rings they use a brake line connector. Double flare nut kinda thing!

Ghost said:
SPOBI!

They do not have o-rings they use a brake line connector. Double flare nut kinda thing!

My 87 had an O ring in one of the lines...that's about all I know..I should know I did it myself...2x's.

Just changed the Master and Internal Slave cylinder on my 88. The slave uses O rings to seal and the Master used standard brake line. Also, bought my new Master at Autozone and couldn't get it to bleed right. Took it back and they exchanged it and that solved the problem. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is good. Mine was not leaking fluid. It was sucking air back in and I would lose my clutch after a few uses. HTH Don

rattler43 said:
Just changed the Master and Internal Slave cylinder on my 88. The slave uses O rings to seal and the Master used standard brake line. Also, bought my new Master at Autozone and couldn't get it to bleed right. Took it back and they exchanged it and that solved the problem. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is good. Mine was not leaking fluid. It was sucking air back in and I would lose my clutch after a few uses. HTH Don

Well, I just wrote to 4WD Hardware, and they were kind enough to suggest either sending me a new cylinder, or credit my card with the amount charged. I opted for the second, my mechanic found the rubber parts locally and we repaired my old cylinder.

You are right Don, being new, does not necessarily means it is OK.

Rgds

SV1CEC said:
Well, I just wrote to 4WD Hardware, and they were kind enough to suggest either sending me a new cylinder, or credit my card with the amount charged. I opted for the second, my mechanic found the rubber parts locally and we repaired my old cylinder.

You are right Don, being new, does not necessarily means it is OK.

Rgds
did you bench bleed the cylinder as suggested in the instructions?

pejeeper said:
did you bench bleed the cylinder as suggested in the instructions?

This thing didn't come with any instructions, and since I am not very well when fluids are involved, I let my mechanic do the installation. He is a very experienced Jeep mechanic (since the days of AMC) so I am sure he did what he had to do with it.

What exactly does the term "bench bleed" means?

Rgds
--------

John Caradimas
SV1CEC

P.S. : I hate it, now with the new NAXJA forum style, you get no signature, so you have to type your name, if you do not want people to call you by your handle.

John: Bench bleeding, more or less, refers to bleeding the master cylinder before you hook up the line or lines to it. This insures the master has expelled all the air. Some people do this off the vehicle, but I prefer to install it first and then bleed it. After you hook up your line, you must bleed it again at the master cylinder to get the last bit of air from the connection between master and line. Then you are ready to bleed slave. Maybe someone else has a different explanation, but this is the method I use. Hope this helps. Don

Ok first he has a 84 the 84's had no O-rings in the lines! I know I replace two slaves and one master. As for bench bleeding I never did it once. Bench bleeding is when you put a little line that goes from the output of the master into the resivor. You fill the resivoir and pump the arm till you have a good level of fluid and no bubbles coming out. HTH.

Back