• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amc20

Çrestfa||en

NAXJA Forum User
Turns out my best friend that owns an 81SJ with the 44front and AMC20rear is going to go over to rockwells soon. I want to run 35s f/r locked, and want to know if the AMC20 is worth the work of installing. I Know one XJ here is running a trussed amc20 but want to hear other's experiances. He is going to give me the axles in trade for the 35 and 30(so he can sell those). I would set them up myself and would probably go to leaf front at the same time.

I guess I'm the one running the trussed one. The FSJ 20 is pretty equal to the 44, THe 20 get's it bad rap from the model in the CJs. The only drawbacks I see are:

1. currently the lowest gear available is 4.88
2. I don't believe there is a spool available
3. Uses a crush sleeve to set pinion bearing preload (some folks claim they can let the preload slip over time, I have not seen this personally)
4. Some claim the tubes have a tendency to spin in the housing (why I trussed mine)

They are a great axle if its out of a FSJ. I had one in my 83 and abused it to no end with the only proble being a bad axle bearing that desoryed it self and let the axle walk out on me but thats what i get for sticking it in nasty mud and water all the time and never checking anything out. It hada very healthy 360 that could snap u joints and drive shafts at will but never the axle.

Oh also you guys know if the amc20 will bolt in to an xj?

Back