• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removeable doors using Wrangler hinges?

AJsArmor

NAXJA Forum User
Ok don't even think I'm steeeewwwpid enough to think about bolting these on and seeing what destruction happens when I goto open the door. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done/tried this with some "modifications" of course.

This winter/spring I plan on removing the front fenders, building a flat/tube fender so it won't be a problem to build the support I need into that for the hinge. The door side however...my plan is to gut the door of as much material as possible, lighten it up. Then reinforce the front area by plating the new hinge area with 14 ga, weld in some reinforcements that will tie that whole front area together (outer skin, inner, and front where original hinges are).

Yeah it's a lot of work when there's easier ways to make the doors removeable, but heck why not?!

the FIRST problem you'll run into is that the face of the door and fender are curved, so you'll have to build flat spots on the fender and door for this to even be close to possible.

with that said... I wanna see this :D

I talked about this with someone on the old Forum. I believe it was TB. But am not sure.

CheapXJ said:
the FIRST problem you'll run into is that the face of the door and fender are curved, so you'll have to build flat spots on the fender and door for this to even be close to possible.

with that said... I wanna see this :D

That's a good point, both hinges are going to have to be inline (at the same angle) with one another in order for it to lift off. Maybe what I'll end up doing is slightly recessing them into the door as well as the new fender.

Just open your XJ door all the way, get an Air die grinder and put a 3in cutoff wheel on it. Home depo $40 in tools.

Cut the bottom tab off the door. (two tabs on door, on center tab on the body. Bang, push, pull the pins out (hardest part takes two guys some times)

buy a four 3-4in long grade 8 1/4in bolts weld them to the top tab on the door. cut the bolts to desired length.

now your full door is easily removable, just open the door and lift and it come right off..The door will open and close easity if you welded the bolts in straight.

Oh come on now, that's way too easy! I'm remember reading about a couple guys going that route and I'm sure it works great. But for the project the outside hinges would go with the military look that I'm shooting for. NO, I'm not turning into some flakey OCC wannabe! The deal is that I'm turning my XJ into a rolling tribute to veterans, so the more "utility" and basic it looks the better. Things like outside hinges, recessed latch type door handles, stripped interior...

Back