• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" from a t-bird

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
Met a guy today w/one sitting in his yard, 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, came out of a late 60's or 70s t-bird. Width was apx 61" (measured w/wheels on..)
It's pretty rusty all over, and was coil sprung. Could this work? I could probably get it for 75-100$. He thinks the spline count is 27 or so, but probably not 31. He's unsure of the gear ratio. I was interested because the bolt pattern, and I can get the 4.88 gears I want. I've got the 8.25 now.

Thanks.

Ti would work but just remember that it is not a truck axle and has thinner walled tubing. And this:

63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears

So I believe it is not a 9" but I could be wrong. Most of the info on 9" I have comes from here. http://www.therangerstation.com/9InchAxles.html

Oh yea and they are 28 and 31 splins not 27...........

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

If I do buy it, where do I start? It's very rusty, should I have it sand blasted?
For regearing, do I just take out the 3rd memeber and have someone do it?
If it's the 28 spline axels, where would I get 31 spline w/the same bolt pattern (5 on 4.5); and what brand/type is recommended?
How would I adapt the e-brake cables?

For a plus, the drum brakes look huge, almost touching the inside of the rim.
As for the pinion, it looks to be a low pinion. Maybe that's how they all are, I don't know much about axel stuff.

This project will include a slip yoke kit and new driveline for my 242, and will be completed when funds allow. Trying to buy my first house.
Any ideas on how much $ will be involved in gears, 31 spline shafts, brake line adapter stuff, spring perches, etc? (minus the cost of a locker)

I may just buy it and sit on it a while if it's truly a good deal. I could probably sell my 8.25 at that time as well. BTW, it's 3.55 gears, but I don't know the spline count. I've never had it apart. I think the brakes are the larger of the 2 sizes available (10" maybe..) Correct me if I'm mistaken.

CB

Check on the availabilty of gears. There are 9" look alikes out there that are not suported by the aftermarket. IF that is the axle I think it is then you will be lucky to find any gears for it. Check one of the gear vendors b4 you get this axle.

About the 9 3/8. From what I can tell, pretty much all the third member internals are non existant in the aftermarket. The mounting surface on the steel housing is ground maybe a whole 1/4" to clear the larger ring gear. The casting nunber on a 9 3/8 third member is C8AW. A regular 9" third will bolt right up to a 9 3/8 housing. 9 3/8 are all 31 spline and big bearing ends.

I have a 9 3/8 that is going to go into my XJ. I chose it because it has the gears I was looking for, 61" wide, and I can put a 9" third in there when I want to gear lower. I'll have the housing set up already, and swapping thirds isn't a big deal.

On my axle, the brake fittings plugged right into an XJ hose. But, I didn't want to use the old ones, and I'm putting discs on so I'm using new hose and fittings from the frame down in the rear. I'm told the yoke is a 1330, but haven't measured to know for sure.

I'd pay attention to the size of the bearings that the housing has. Pretty much everything else can be changed fairly easily.

Besides getting new shafts you need at the very least new spiders or a locker to run the 31 spline shafts.

If you want near stock width and bolt pattern get an 8.8 it will be cheaper in the long run even if you have to spend an extra 200-300 for it, they can also be found in 3.55s, 3.73s and 4.10s easily.

If you want a good capable rig and want to run 35s or larger a cheap good setup would be from a bronco or f150 take the radius arm front 44 and big bearing 31 spline 9 in rear.

I would say getting this small bearing 9" is going to be a bigger hassle than what it's worth, but that's my opinion.

I can't think of a donor Ford with a 31 spline 5 x 4.5 bolt shaft for the 9", unless it's custom made. IF there is a donor car, seriously doubting it though, the shaft would probably be out of a EB or early F-150. Maybe from the 60's or early 70's. The width would also be a problem too.

For gearing, the best way is to take it the 3rd member out. It's also the best axle to learn how to do gearing, but I wouldn't recommend taking on that challenge unless you have someone who knows what they're doing to help you. The cost of gears vary, you'll need to research that one. Take a look at www.completeoffroad.com. They also sell stuff on ebay. I lucked out and got my 4:56's with a full Detriot for $350, it pays to know certain people!!

I would suggest going with a big bearing 9" out of a full size bronco or f-150, the only problem is that they are 65" wms-wms and a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. It sounds like you're wanting to keep your existing wheels and the keep the same width as the front. Am I correct?

All 9" pinions are lower than a Dana or Yota axle, stock 9" axles that is. The custom Currie, etc... are the only high ones. I've been meaning to get some pictures of a 9" pinion height, compared to other axles with the same set up tires. Then I'll have some real physical proof of whether or not there is a big difference in pinion height.

If you are intent on doing a 31 spline conversion, you'll most likely have to have custom shafts made. But I've got a 31 spline open carrier that you can have. The carriers for the 9" don't have break points, which I think is a plus. So you can just go to a yard and pull any 9" carrier and use it. I've got the old 3.55 gears too, you'd just have to pick them up or pay for shipping.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Also try looking at the FORD section of the POR board, just becareful of posting over there. As a general rule for the POR board, "research, make sure NO ONE has asked that question before, and don't ask dumb questions", you'll get your ass chewed.

Also make sure it's not an 8". I don't know if T-Birds came with them or not.

If you can use a socket with extension on a ratchet to remove all ten nuts holding the third member on, then it's an 8". On a 9", you can use the socket/ratchet for eight of the ten, but the last two need an openend wrench. Those two are right down my the pinion support.

Static-XJ said:
9 3/8 are all 31 spline and big bearing ends.
I have a 9 3/8 that is going to go into my XJ. I chose it because it has the gears I was looking for, 61" wide, and I can put a 9" third in there when I want to gear lower.

Well, I stand corrected. Didn't do my research as well as I thought.

Patriot said:
Well, I stand corrected. Didn't do my research as well as I thought.
I pulled mine from a 77 F150, don't know if it was original or someone swapped it int there. It's 5 on 5.5". I'm going to either use two adapters up front to match botl patterns, or run different patterns with on adapter and a 5 on 5.5 spare.

I think the big cars had 5 on 5" or 5 on 5.5", and some came with 31 spline big bearing housings. Can't remember width on them though.

Static-XJ said:
I pulled mine from a 77 F150, don't know if it was original or someone swapped it int there. It's 5 on 5.5". I'm going to either use two adapters up front to match botl patterns, or run different patterns with on adapter and a 5 on 5.5 spare.

I think the big cars had 5 on 5" or 5 on 5.5", and some came with 31 spline big bearing housings. Can't remember width on them though.

No those are the right bolt patterns for stock, most likely not a swap in axle for the f-150. To the best of my knowledge, all the big bearings came with 31 spline shafts. There maybe a car they changed that on. If so someone will probably correct me.

I was talking about being corrected on the axle width. I thought almost all 70's f-150's were 65 wms-wms.

Patriot said:
No those are the right bolt patterns for stock, most likely not a swap in axle for the f-150. To the best of my knowledge, all the big bearings came with 31 spline shafts. There maybe a car they changed that on. If so someone will probably correct me.

I was talking about being corrected on the axle width. I thought almost all 70's f-150's were 65 wms-wms.
I don't know if all big bearings came with 31's.

I thought the truck rear would be wider too. Taped it twice before pulling it, then again after, 61". The HP 44 front was 65" though. And it had drums, but everything I've read about them says 76-77 should both have discs. I think the yard may have had the wrong year painted on the windshield.

Back