• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken NP231 TC Skid Plate

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
Tomken has a TC skid plate for a "97-98" XJ. It runs from frame rail to frame rail. Is this a good skid plate and will it fit other years besides the ones specified? I have a '94 and wonder if it will work on it.

Les

Well ... how about this? Frame rail to frame rail on my '94 is approx. 38" outside to outside. The cross member drops about 2" below the frame rail with the "lip" being about 1" below (the level of the frame rail). How does this compare to a '97-'98 model?

Could someone check theirs (if '97 or '98) and let me know if these are close to what it measures? Sure would appreciate some feedback.

Les

Kinda feel like I'm talkin' to myself here ....

Got my answer elsewhere ... was told the '97 & '98 frames were narrowed to 37.25". This skid plate could be made to work.

For those interested .....

I just installed the "frame rail to frame rail" Tomken Transfer Case Skid Plate for a '97-'98 Cherokee on my '94 XJ ....

Well ... it bolts right up! The holes on the skid plate, that share the bolts for the cross member, line up... no problem. The notch cut-out for the "Cat" was not really necessary as my converter is further back on the exhaust pipe, but it will give me more "working" room if I need to change the "Cat" out. The skid plate came with spacers ; one in the middle where it bolts to the cross member and two on the outside edge where it bolts to the frame. Those on the outside edge where it bolts to the frame were not needed as there was plenty of clearance under the transfer case. I cut them off and bolted it up flush to the frame. Instead of using the hex head bolt where it bolts to the cross member, I used a carrage bolt and beat it into the hole as I wrenched the nut on (fabbed my own square hole so to speak). There is about one inch clearance between the Transfer Case and Skid Plate.

It looks like it will work real well. What Testing to be done will occur at Winterfest. It was really an easy install ...

Les

sorry just got online or i would have helped you.

Hey ... no problem 2offroad ... I appreciate it anyway. I wasn't sure about it working, but just could not imagine why it wouldn't either. There just is not that much difference in the model years.

115197947efTqbd_ph.jpg

Les

Last edited:
Ibexj, I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if you think this skid will work with a 242. Mine's a '99, so I'm not worried about the width from FR to FR, just the height/depth (whatever you want to call it) and clearing the TC. You mentioned that you cut off the little extensions--how long were they?

Might not be a bad idea to call Tomken (719-395-2526) www.tomken.com to check or to volunteer yours as a testbed. Part number is TMS-1334-231 and it's listed as "XJ Cammand [sic] Trac N.P. 231 '97-'98 Transfer Case Skid Plate"

I'm going to e-mail them when I get home, but I thought I'd just give the forum a try. By the way, as a former English teacher, thanks for using [sic]. It's been too long since I've seen anyone else use it--at least properly.

Timber said:
Ibexj, I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if you think this skid will work with a 242. Mine's a '99, so I'm not worried about the width from FR to FR, just the height/depth (whatever you want to call it) and clearing the TC. You mentioned that you cut off the little extensions--how long were they?

Yes ... you would be better off calling Tomken on this ... I do not have any experience with the 242 transfer case and have no idea. BTW ... the "extensions" I cut off were about 1/2" IIRC.

Les

Ibexj, thanks a ton for replying. I will call Tomken; I just thought there'd be a chance you were familiar with 242s and could shed some light. By the way, do you have any pics of the skid mounted? Also, how has it held up so far? Thanks, man.

It has done fine. Since I've installed it, I've welded a ladder bar bracket to it so mounting it using the self tapping screws is not quite enough. I've tack welded it in addition to the self tapping screws.

Here is a link to a pic right after I installed it: http://community.webshots.com/photo/111564164/115197947efTqbd

Les

Back