• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steel types

jaggedsteel

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all, this is my first post - looks like a nice forum with plenty of info you've got here. I hope to contribute as well as benefit from all the info and great minds that lurk here.

Now to my questions - I'm replacing the steering box in my XJ and was thinking it would be a good time to ditch that aluminum spacer and reinforce the frame in that area before slapping the new one on. I've got 2 questions:

1. what do you guys replace the spacer with? do you make your own insert box or is there something like a square tube that fits inside snugly?

2. I've got plenty of 1/4" wall angle iron laying around as well as 1/4" thick plate. I don't know much about steel types and was wondering if any piece of steel will do the job or do I need a certain kind of steel for strength?

If it helps any I get most of my metal from the local steel yard's dumpster and they mostly build building supports and stairs. The dumpster ususally has plenty of tubing, angle iron plate and sheetmetal. I just don't have a clue if this stuff is any good for what I wanna do... any difference in steel used for auto stuff and steel used for commercial structures?

Thanks all

Regards,

Mike

Go ahead and dumpster dive
The steel in there will serve your purposes well

I dive ours at work alot

jaggedsteel said:
Greetings all, this is my first post - looks like a nice forum with plenty of info you've got here. I hope to contribute as well as benefit from all the info and great minds that lurk here.

Now to my questions - I'm replacing the steering box in my XJ and was thinking it would be a good time to ditch that aluminum spacer and reinforce the frame in that area before slapping the new one on. I've got 2 questions:

1. what do you guys replace the spacer with? do you make your own insert box or is there something like a square tube that fits inside snugly?

2. I've got plenty of 1/4" wall angle iron laying around as well as 1/4" thick plate. I don't know much about steel types and was wondering if any piece of steel will do the job or do I need a certain kind of steel for strength?

If it helps any I get most of my metal from the local steel yard's dumpster and they mostly build building supports and stairs. The dumpster ususally has plenty of tubing, angle iron plate and sheetmetal. I just don't have a clue if this stuff is any good for what I wanna do... any difference in steel used for auto stuff and steel used for commercial structures?

Thanks all

Regards,

Mike

The best possible fix for the steering box situation is the SBS kit from ORGS Mfg. The spacers are very stout and really spread the load nicely around the front frame "rail"

CRASH

Back