• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ca law question

scot

NAXJA Forum User
not really sure which forum this goes in. so i just thought id ask in here. I just recently moved to california. i was just wondering if anyone knows what the laws say about what you have to have behind the catylistic converter.

here's more specifically what you're looking for: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm

it sounds like you need to have some sort of muffler, but no decibel requirement, there are hotrod/race catologs that have mufflers that serve no purpose other than meeting requirements.

I chopped off my muffler, and have never had any problems, but it's starting to annoy me just a little after a few months and I think I'll throw on a glasspack. like the fender/mudflap thing, it's worded very vaguely so that what matters most is what the cops are like in your town, or if one of them is having a bad day.

California law is very specific--mufflers must be certified to the 95 DBA at 50 feet requirement. when you get the ticket for modified or no muffler you will have to prove to the court that you have a certified muffler or go to the smog ref. where a test is performed. you will probably fail unless you use a stock muffler. go to the California CHP site and look under the street racing section--more info there.

mad maXJ said:
like the fender/mudflap thing, it's worded very vaguely so that what matters most is what the cops are like in your town, or if one of them is having a bad day.

Or if someone has filed a complaint. Back in high school my brother had a baja bug with a stinger exhaust. We pretty much drove the same route to school every morning. One day we got pulled over and was given a ticket. The cop said some one had filed a complaint. I guess they didn't like the sound of an open Tri-Mil at 630 in da mornin'. Woooo Wooooo.

Back