• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Air II & tank for air tools

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I did a couple of searches and came up with nada. I currently have a Quick Air II, and I am considering getting a 2.5 gal. tank. Will that be enough to run an impact gun to change tires? Has anyone tried this. particular set-up? I'm thinking for short bursts like breaking loose lug nuts I should work, but If I have to, I'll convert the A/C compressor and use that.

This review says that some air tool work can be done with the right compressor and a 2 gal tank:

Compressor Review

I went with this compressor:

Extreme Outback Air

I'm researching the idea of putting in a 2Gal tank as well. Here's some links of tech and supplies:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/techindex/TechArticleInx.htm#onboardair
http://www.sunperformance.com/air_accessories.htm
http://www.airhosereels.com/
Check for tanks, best price so far:
Pricey... Another writeup

I haven't come to many conclusions yet. Let me know what you decide! :wierd:

bburge

Last edited:
I had a scuba tank which I assume was ~2-3 gallons? and it was hardly enough for air tools. I could get a very brief burst with an impact. Now I have a ~7 gallon bumper tank and I can fill a 33" tire from 15 psi to 30 psi, and that's about it on a charge from my Sanden AC compressor. I imagine it'd be better for an impact, but I haven't tried it yet. I'd say that's a minimum for an impact. A diegrinder, etc, would require much more.
HTH

KY Chris:
You should take that scuba tank to a scuba shop and have it filled. I think they hold 2500 psi and 80 pounds of air!

Put a regulator on it to drop to 100 psi and you can air up the whole troop right now after a run. Unless you have a scuba certification or know someone who does, you can't get the tank filled, legally. Do you know a diver? Maybe if you talk to the shop owner and explain what you are doing with it you might work something out.

Another option would be CO2 bottles. They pump the gas in till it is liquid, I think that is about 800 psi as sea level IIRC. If you put CO2 in the tires, you would not need to worry about moisture and I am sure you could run some air tools. I would much rather feed my air tools CO2 than air. You still would need the regulator. A 5 pound bottle would probably air up 10 tires after a run.

I hear you can steal a CO2 bottle from Scott Mac.
MoFo

I looked a bunch into tank placement when I put my york in. Though about mounting one under the floor opposite the muffler/cat, but threw that out really quick since my muffler and cat have plenty of dents in them. Then though about above the axle next to the gas tank, but under compression there isn't enough room. Couldn't afford bumpers, rails, or a cage to use as a tank. Someone suggested mount a narrow tank next to the front seats, that would have worked. But I decided to plumb an air hose into the cargo area and cap it with a tool connector. Then I use a 9 gal portable tank plugged into that when, then it's not taking up space when I don't need it. With the York I find I don't need it too often though.

My thoughts on OBA, 12v should only be used to engage the pump's clutch. ;)

MoFo said:
KY Chris:
A 5 pound bottle would probably air up 10 tires after a run.

MoFo

Oasis believes that a 10 pound bottle will do 40 tires.

Oasis Powertank

I've been playing with the idea of making the whole tank setup be self-contained as one piece and plumbed to the compressor with quick connects so that I could take it or leave it at home (most of the time).

bburge

jb98xj said:
I did a couple of searches and came up with nada. I currently have a Quick Air II, and I am considering getting a 2.5 gal. tank. Will that be enough to run an impact gun to change tires? Has anyone tried this. particular set-up? I'm thinking for short bursts like breaking loose lug nuts I should work, but If I have to, I'll convert the A/C compressor and use that.

Are you really considering taking air tools on the trail with you?

I once thought it would be very cool to be able to run air tools on the trail.

After carrying the extra weight around for awhile, I decided there is absolutly nothing you can do with an impact gun that you can't do with a breaker bar and a High-Lift handle.

CRASH

That's one of the reasons that it's more a research excercise at this point.

After the space of the tank and the plumbing, I'd probably just carry a 3/8 air ratchet and a 1/2 impact wrench. That's not a lot of space, but is some additional weight. I'm already carrying a good coil poly hose, so the chuck would need to be replaced by a quick connect and a chuck.

The next question: Is it worth the ~ $200 to do that (along with the space and the weight)? Let's just say it's not an impluse buy!

bburge

I have a 20 lb CO2 tank mounted where the spare tire used to be. You can run air tools and inflate tires with it. It takes up about as much space as a 2.5 gal tank. It's a lot cheaper initially. The only real ongoing expense is re-filling it at a welding supply place for about $15. For me that ends up being about once a year, but for most of you it will be more often. For weight savings I use an aluminum tank. The beauty about the CO2 is the capacity as it is a liquid. The other issue is safety. Max psi is right at 800 and there is no explosive potential unlike the higher pressure compressed gasses. It's worth considering.
mattk

I have a york, and I need to have the RPMS up around 2000 to get it to run an impact gun, I can't imagine a 12 volt compressor coming even close. Sure you may get a lug or two off every ten minutes but thats it.

I carry an impact gun and ratchet. I have gotten too used to using them. True a breaker bar will do most of the same things but the impact gun is much easier. On the Rubicon trail a buddy had a hard time getting a fill plug off his rear axle, it was partially stripped. Two people worked on it for 20 minutes with no luck. I pulled out the impact gun and it came off instantly. I also like the air ratchet for those cramped places where its difficult to get a decent turn on a regular ratchet. Too me the extra 7 lbs is not much of a penalty. Heck at any given point I have more weight in water in my cooler sloshing around :)

As far as choosing a compressor why not use a york its just as cheap as those other listed 12 volt compressors and puts out 10 times as much air.

I did mine for under $200 with fittings, switches, regulators, hoses and a 2 gallon tank.

Gary E said:
I have a york, and I need to have the RPMS up around 2000 to get it to run an impact gun, I can't imagine a 12 volt compressor coming even close. Sure you may get a lug or two off every ten minutes but thats it.

I carry an impact gun and ratchet. I have gotten too used to using them. True a breaker bar will do most of the same things but the impact gun is much easier. On the Rubicon trail a buddy had a hard time getting a fill plug off his rear axle, it was partially stripped. Two people worked on it for 20 minutes with no luck. I pulled out the impact gun and it came off instantly. I also like the air ratchet for those cramped places where its difficult to get a decent turn on a regular ratchet. Too me the extra 7 lbs is not much of a penalty. Heck at any given point I have more weight in water in my cooler sloshing around :)

As far as choosing a compressor why not use a york its just as cheap as those other listed 12 volt compressors and puts out 10 times as much air.

I did mine for under $200 with fittings, switches, regulators, hoses and a 2 gallon tank.
Yup, I'm that buddy! Thanks Garry! ;)

I live in the desert of So California - I'm not giving up my AC.

My 12V compressor will do 4CFM, 150psi and 100% duty cycle. That puts it on par with the York at about 1200RPM. The review that I posted in my first response tested it with a 2 gal tank and got something like 8 lug nuts at a time.

From Kilby's site - it says the York does 4CFM at 90psi, but doesn't say what the top end of the York is for psi - does it do 150? I would expect so.

I'm glad you dig your setup (it does sound cool) but you might want to check out a couple of the links I posted before condeming all 12v compressors. The Currie [from the review] and the Oasis are pretty beefy. The one I bought is no slouch. I also like the portable feature on mine, I can take it out with other cars and other places.

bburge

bburge said:
I live in the desert of So California - I'm not giving up my AC.

My 12V compressor will do 4CFM, 150psi and 100% duty cycle. That puts it on par with the York at about 1200RPM. The review that I posted in my first response tested it with a 2 gal tank and got something like 8 lug nuts at a time.

From Kilby's site - it says the York does 4CFM at 90psi, but doesn't say what the top end of the York is for psi - does it do 150? I would expect so.

bburge

Whoa wait a minute who said anything about giving up A/C I live in sactown and its too hot for me here, I kept my A/C :)

My automatic switch turns off my york at 145 psi, I am sure it will go much higher.

I am sure your compressor is nice, and the portability is a nice feature.

Its just hard to beat a good york, mines pumps at a flick of a switch and is very quiet.

Sure Yorks have drawbacks, mine blows some oil and I had to move the battery.

Did you just more your battery to the other side of the engine (after removing the air box) or did you boot it "for distance"?

I replaced my alternator last weekend and could not figure out where one might stick a York AND keep the AC. Is you serpantine belt a mile long? :roll:

bburge

bburge said:
Did you just more your battery to the other side of the engine (after removing the air box) or did you boot it "for distance"?

I replaced my alternator last weekend and could not figure out where one might stick a York AND keep the AC. Is you serpantine belt a mile long? :roll:

bburge

I put the battery in place of the air box. I bolted the york mounts to the stock aircompressor so it sits right next to it. And I made a serpentine and v belt pulley for the alt, much like kilbys combo pulley. So the V belt goes from the alt to the york. Its a pretty common setup.

Gary E said:
I put the battery in place of the air box. I bolted the york mounts to the stock aircompressor so it sits right next to it. And I made a serpentine and v belt pulley for the alt, much like kilbys combo pulley. So the V belt goes from the alt to the york. Its a pretty common setup.
I used kilbys pulley for my setup.

If you can find a your with serp clutch, or want to shell out a new one from Kilby, you can just use a longer belt. You'll need an additional idler or two.

Back