• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requirements for Pumpkin Eater

loop

NAXJA Forum User
just wondering how hard this trail is and what are the recommended rig requirements? what about if you aren't adverse to some "trail modifications" to your rig? :jester:

Last edited:
loop said:
just wondering how hard this trail is and what are the recommended rig requirements? what about if you aren't adverse to some "trail modifications" to your rig? :jester:

I would say definatly 1 locker but preferably 2, and a winch, the main problem on Pumpkin eater is getting traction as it is really dusty deep and ball bearing rocks

Well, we're running Pumkin Eater on Sunday after a breakfast in camp, so we won't want to be out there all day. To really run Pumkin Eater requires two lockers and a winch. It's possible to bail in a couple of places, so less equiped rigs could run the trail as far as they want and then stop and watch the rest of the rigs finish. Pumpkin Eater is two real short canyons right next to each other that don't go anywhere, so you turn around at the end and come back down both canyons. It's a good place to watch because the rigs come back down the same short canyon.

I'll leave it like this. One locker rigs can run to the V notch on the first canyon and to the waterfall on the second canyon, then stop and watch. To go beyond those points will require two lockers, 33" tires, and a winch.

ok...that settles that then.

anybody who doesn't meet those requirements want to do a run up Odessa and down Duran on Sunday? or maybe something else? anything that involves wheeling! i have to make the wheeling trip encompass more than a run up one canyon and down the next.....even with exploring the mines and yanking stockers that run only seemed to take a few hours (but that did leave plenty of time for :cheers: )

or am i alone in being altitudenly challenged? :rattle:

loop said:
ok...that settles that then.

anybody who doesn't meet those requirements want to do a run up Odessa and down Duran on Sunday? or maybe something else? anything that involves wheeling! i have to make the wheeling trip encompass more than a run up one canyon and down the next.....even with exploring the mines and yanking stockers that run only seemed to take a few hours (but that did leave plenty of time for :cheers: )

or am i alone in being altitudenly challenged? :rattle:
I'm up for some other trails... cause I don't think my XJ can handle pumpkin eater...

after rereading Goatmans post maybe i should have asked him beforehand if the trail to the V-notch offers a decent challenge ? or the waterfall ? did you mean 33"s and 1 locker to get to those points? or could one work in to there carefully on 31's? :scared:

Kejtar- if we can't follow the group we'll improvise...... one way or another we'll do a little wheeling Sunday :guitar:

Loop, it's a very short section of trail up to the V notch, but fairly challenging for a one locker rig. Most of the time would be watching, so it's up to each to decide what to do. I think we need a Sunday run up Odessa, and then maybe down Mule Canyon or down Doran......it depends on what we do on Sat.

We'll run one group up Doran and down Odessa, and we can handle any rig. Those not equipped with a locker can take the bypasses and watch the other rigs. There is one off camper ledge that everyone will have to go up, but otherwise a stock rig can run Doran. The other group will go up Odessa, and we'll have to decide whether to bring them back down Odessa, or go down Doran. I think we should have both groups meet at the lunch spot at the top of Doran, then everyone go down Odessa. Sunday, we'll run another group up Odessa and then go down either Doran or Mule Canyon, plus the group that will run Pumpkin Eater. There are mines to explore and a variety od options, so it's always interesting.

I'll take on Pumpkin eater, Im locked front and rear ruuning 33's only thing Im lacking of right now is a winch. Maybe a tug from an other XJ will be enough ? :D

We'll see how many we have to run it, then decide. This trail has some spots that are too steep and loose to be able to tow someone, which is why I put a winch in the requirements. We'll see how it goes...... :)

Back