• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what diagnostic tool

90NHXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My wife'7 97 Grand with the I-6 just had the "Check Engine" light come the other night and it's still on. It came on when driving in -5 degree weather (NH). I'd like to use this as an excuse to buy a diagnostic tool but don't know which to get. I also have a 90 and a 94 Cherokee (both with the straight six), an 87 Commanche with the v-6, and my brother has a 94 Wrangler with the straight six. I'd like a diagnostic reader that would be cheaper than having the dealer hook it up and one that would work on most if not all of our other Jeeps. Any info or past experiences would be great. Thanks - Don.

AutoXray makes decent units for a good price, but make sure you get one that will handle OBD-II (1996-2001) and OBD-I (1991-1995) scanning. If you 1987-1990, don't expect to find a reader to work with them cheap. The least expensive reader I know of for the Renix XJ/MJ runs about $1400 from Snap-On.

I have an OBD-I AutoXray, and it has worked quite well for me. I bought it on sale for about $100.

5-90

Back