• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coiling the rear

redjeepguy

NAXJA Forum User
looking for some pics and specs (mainly specs) on putting coils in the rear of my 92. any advice is welcome as well...3 link, 4 link. isnt beezil the suspension guru around here? thanks alot.

mark

nope, you have the wrong guy...

if you are lucky, ed stevens will check you out...

I have no experience with rear coils. I am skeptical about their performance though, since many I've seen have some wicked body roll and rear unloading, but i believe a properly designed set-up can be made to work well.

see if you can get McGyver's, Led Lancos attention. also, isn't stephanie running the same set-up?

see what they think

good luck!

Search first, then ask specifics. You get better answers. There was a great thread not to long ago here.

Also search on Pirate for God of Suspensions and Links for Dummies.

Theres enough info there to build w/out asking ques.

Not tryin to be a jerk. This is the way you learn.

im fairly new on this site, seemed like more of a tech site than JU. i figured this would be the best place to start looking for info. thanks for the input, ill do a search here and see if i cant come up with something. just thought i would ask though.

Mark

csudman said:
Beezil, I've come to notice something about you. You hate everyone thats been here for a while and love newbies. Im not knockin you. Just an observation.

I think he just hates BS from people who should know better. Newbies, you don't know what they know, so you can give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: That had nothing to do with rear coils.

hey thanks alot for the links. the pics are great! but one question.....which coils and what size to use? is it going to be trial and error on getting it just right and lift height to level out with the front? if these are newb questions i apoligize...

Mark

Stock xj front's net you about 8" in the rear. I think others have used 3" tj lift coils. You can pickem up cheap on boards used. Im assuming your getttin into the 35" tire? If so you need to start thinkin about axles. At least a rear one. 8.8, D44

Good luck.

This was post #200 for me. Does that mean Im not a newbie anymore?:)

I've seen too many of them unload pretty badly, where a front end roll could have easily occurred. Infact, some of the TJ guys are swapping in rear leaves to prevent this.

I'd like to know what anti-squat numbers they were running to see what effect it had on it.

I think with a properly designed 4 link system, you could run coils in the rear, however, to correctly link a 4 link in an XJ, some of your links will be placed inside the cab. Be prepared to hack your floorboards pretty bad.

For simplicity, I'd get some quality leaves, use up to a 1.5" block, some longer shackles, and an anti-wrap bar.

yeah, 35's is what im thinking. and im researching d44's as we speak. i just want to make sure i absolutely know what im getting into before i start and get frustrated and junk....but of course, this is a jeep.

csudman said:
Beezil, I've come to notice something about you. You hate everyone thats been here for a while and love newbies. Im not knockin you. Just an observation.

I don't think I would get away with things if they were the other way around....

love and hate are such similar emotions, don't you think?

gawd I love hinkley.

Beezil said:
I don't think I would get away with things if they were the other way around....

love and hate are such similar emotions, don't you think?

gawd I love hinkley.
Someone famous once said that the opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. I subscribe to this idea with my whole heart. If you don't love someone, you can't hate them. Apathy is what turns otherwise sane people, who love (or think they love) another person, into raving lunatics and hysterical miscreants.

Pretty deep huh, Googled it.

And back on the subject. I think it is possible to do a 4 link w/out going through the floor. You need about 10"s of lift and about 10 more inches of wheelbase. I haven't actualy done it on paper. But I think that would allow your IC to be far enough away from your axle mounts. And leave enough room for correct link lenghts, so you dont have to cut into your floor. But I might be wrong.

csudman said:
Also search on Pirate for God of Suspensions and Links for Dummies.

The guy is going to be up all night and well into the morning reading just the God of Suspension thread alone. Last time I saw it was up around 15 pages long. Good thread, once you get past the bitching about the "god" calling thing that is.

Yarghhh...beware, LONG ones they be. :scottm:

Try the "bad ass xj's needed" thread too over there on POR. It's got about 400 posts and I thought I saw a few XJ's with coiled rears and 4-links. It's been a while so I might be wrong on that.

Make sure you research before you post on that site though!! :)

Back