• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready for Calico?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, is everyone getting ready for Calico? Just three weeks away now, Jan 31-Feb 1. I found another little side canyon on Doran that we ran last weekend, claimed one front axle on the few who ran it. If you've run Doran before, it's a different trail the way I run it.....much more interesting. :D

Saturday's run up Doran and then down Odessa is fun with some cool scenery. Everything difficult has bypasses, so you can make it what you want.

We'll run Pumpkin Eater over in Stoddard Valley on Sunday if enough people want to. It's about a 20 minute drive from Calico and is plenty challenging. We had a CJ go completely on it's lid last weekend on a steep waterfall.

I better make my reservations...... :)

yea, I have been "getting ready". I am actually still struggling to get everything tied up by that weekend.

Last week I got the gears all setup in the front, got the front driveshaft back in. weekend before that I installed the Crok brace that has been sitting on my workbench 12 weeks. weekend before that I installed my new rockrails.

Items I still need to do....

1. spare tire / wheel
2. install bumper tire carrier
3. reinstall tc skid
4. new fuel injectors to cure seepage??
5. change diff fluids
6. trim fenders to cure MAJOR rubbage (socal xj trim party the weekend before!!)
7. install TJ flares
8. get new muffler installed
9. figure out what I want do to w/ my vaccum disconnect system
10. I am sure there are a good 10 more items I could add by then.

I am kinda 50/50 on going at this time anyways to be honest. There have been a few "personal" items that have popped up. If I don't go my camp stop will be up for grabs since I wont be there.

If I do make it out I will only be on the easy trails for testing pruposes only. :skull2:

-Scott

Last edited:
I'm up for the pumpkin eater. I haven't done that trail for 5 or 6 years, but it was pretty good back then.

I just need to get a new windshield put in and a driver's side mirror, and I'll be ready. I had a minor 'flop on side' mishap at truck haven over new years. Similar to yours, Richard, only not as severe. Now I have dents in the roof and doors. Got it fixed up as well as I care to. The cage did its job, as the roof collapsed all the way to the cage over the driver's door, rain gutter area, but the cage didn't budge.

We're all anxiously counting days now, only 18 more.

Dan

I made my CG reservations today.

Finish rockrails.

Find out where the clunk is coming from in my front end

I'm gonna swap out the front shocks for the long travel ones I have sitting in the hallway. Bump up the bump stops on the front.

I'd like to replace the brake lines with the RE braided SS ones Santa brought, but I don't know if I'll have the time. This weekend is probably my only wrenching opportunity.

The following weekend is the fender trimming party. I'm gonna be whacked - I have to work Saturday night, as the power company is shutting down power at my work from midnight Sat until 8AM Sun. I have to be there to oversee the shutting down and restarting of servers...

I already have a cabin reserved at Calico... I'll go, whatever shape the Jeep is in.

bburge

cool maps Richard

another cabin dweller here....

let's see....put on BigDaddy tierod and new draglink...shim control arm boxes for castor and get alligned, tires and spare rebalance, regrease rear susp and tighten ubolts(hey i like being the creaky one though), retorque all track bar bolt and check steering box, replace headlight switch(i hope that gives me more than running lights), get aux backup lights to change their attitude, hopefully change front shaft u-joints,and top off all fluids...i'm sure i'll find a thing or 4 when i'm under there too :doh:

where is this trimming party you guys speak of?

karstic said:
I made my CG reservations today.

Finish rockrails.

Find out where the clunk is coming from in my front end

Well I don't think I'll have the RR's done and...

the front end clunk is a bad motor mount. Hopefully the MORE mounts will be waitng for me when I get home.

Back