• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What works best for washboard roads?

S

SeaMonkey

I'm running a RE 4 1/2" lift with drop brackets and the OME shocks that RE sent me with my kit are "firm". I know they make a soft ride version but figured RE was matching the shock to their kit. Well after a trip to Death Valley I'm not so sure. The washboard roads beat the s*** out of me. Didn't matter if I was aired up or down or if I was going 1 MPH or 40 MPH. Rattled my teeth out. Would a softer shock work better? I like the OME shocks and wouldn't mind switching to the soft ride but can't afford to keep buying expensive shocks just to see what works best. Any input would be a help. Thanks... :sunshine:

SeaMonkey said:
I'm running a RE 4 1/2" lift with drop brackets and the OME shocks that RE sent me with my kit are "firm". I know they make a soft ride version but figured RE was matching the shock to their kit. Well after a trip to Death Valley I'm not so sure. The washboard roads beat the s*** out of me. Didn't matter if I was aired up or down or if I was going 1 MPH or 40 MPH. Rattled my teeth out. Would a softer shock work better? I like the OME shocks and wouldn't mind switching to the soft ride but can't afford to keep buying expensive shocks just to see what works best. Any input would be a help. Thanks... :sunshine:

haha the washboards will do that to you. If you really want to spend a few dollars you can go with some Bilstien 7100 series shocks, you can valve them until you get them right. They are rebuildable so they SHOULD be the last set of shocks you'd ever have to buy. As long as you dont go any higher you'll be set with them. You will be able to dial in your ride and will have a 10x better shock then anything else out there. But you will pay for it.

-Scott

I think some Adj. Rancho 9000's are your best bet. You can adjust them to whatever you want when ever you need it.

I have the soft OME shocks and washboards are rarely an issue. If the washboard is really big then it will shake the truck around a bit - but the shocks keep traction at the tires. I also have soft springs though (OME), so maybe that helps a bit. The LT shocks are supposed the have the same valving as the regular shocks, so they probably make a LT shock with the same valving I have.

so far the only thing I've found to really do any good for washboards is just plain bigger tires, aired way down.

Also, never ever drive to Oatman Warm Springs.

I shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, but URF Racing has a Hovercraft Kit in the works. The fans run off the two t-case outputs...

No smoother ride to be had over washboard & small whoops.

I run the Rancho RS9000x's w/my RE 4.5" lift. I almost always have them set to '1' (softest) and they are still stiff. I would not recommend them for washboard roads. I drive 1 mile on a washboard road to my duck club each weekend and it shakes the heck out of me and everthing inside. My theory on these shocks is that Rancho uses an existing full-size pickup shock (correct length) to be used on lifted smaller vehicles. This shock is designed for a 6000 lb truck, not a 3500 lb jeep. That's why they're stiff even at the softest setting.

Ed A. Stevens said:
What was the tire pressure?

I dropped them down to 20psi then 16psi. Maybe I could of gone lower but the washboards were SO BAD that I didn't want to bash my new rims!

Planetcat said:
I run the Rancho RS9000x's w/my RE 4.5" lift. I almost always have them set to '1' (softest) and they are still stiff. I would not recommend them for washboard roads.

Thanks for the info here. I would of been a little upset buying the Ranchos and finding that they are still too STIFF! There must be a "sweet spot" shock for our lifts out there somewhere. Anybody running the OME "soft ride" with a RE 4 1/2"?

I run the rustys 9 pos. adjustables I have only set them on 1 once and they were like no shocks at all but on 9 they are pretty stiff which is where I like them. Except for washboard roads where I run them at like 4 and its as smooth as I was driving on a smooth dirt road.

I think some Adj. Rancho 9000's are your best bet. You can adjust them to whatever you want when ever you need it.

If you do anything more than a few miles on the washboard, you will boil the fluid in these shocks. Monotube, gas charged shocks are your best bet. 5100 Series Bilsteins are nice and soft, fade resistant, and are not too pricey.

Also, 16 PSI is still too high. We run 8-12 on our race-runs back from JV trails and you can't even feel the washboard.

You can feel the bomb craters, though.

It's best to avoid those.

CRASH

I'm also running the RE 4.5, and I got hooked up with some Skyjacker shocks for cheap. Not sure what model #, but they handle washboard reasonably well, and they're cheap. If you want the model #. let me know, I'll have to check under my truck. (and right now in Manitoba, it's -30'C)
jeo

azxjman said:
I run the rustys 9 pos. adjustables I have only set them on 1 once and they were like no shocks at all but on 9 they are pretty stiff which is where I like them. Except for washboard roads where I run them at like 4 and its as smooth as I was driving on a smooth dirt road.

What lift are you running with those?

CRASH said:
Also, 16 PSI is still too high. We run 8-12 on our race-runs back from JV trails and you can't even feel the washboard.

You can feel the bomb craters, though.

It's best to avoid those.

CRASH

I'll try the lower PSI next time, and I've seen the bomb craters at JV..ha..ha

I just hit a washboard road on my way to the trail yesterday, about 5 miles of washboards. I run the Rancho 9000's. I aired my 31's down to 16psi and set my shocks on "2" and it was very smooth. I run 9256's in the rear, not sure which # in the front. I picked these based on length, I think they're usually TJ shocks. I usually run them on 2 or 3 around town, then on 4 or 5 for the trail so I don't bounce when coming off rocks and ledges. They work great.

I agree on the Bilstein 5100's...way better than Rancho 9000's on any setting. Also them big meats with low air...along with some rubber control arm bushings...what washboard???

Nay

I'm running the same ones, I think they are just Rancho's painted black, they look like the have rancho part numbers.

-Joe S.

azxjman said:

Back