• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln Locker

Scott Mac

NAXJA Member #10
Is it possible to weld up a Auburn LSD. I now have a daily driver and would like to lock up the rear end. The Auburn has served me well but it's getting tired and I don't want to have to set up the gears again untill I regear.

No idea on welding up the Auburn........ but I have an open carrier for a Chrysler 8.25 sitting on the shelf. It's yours if you want it.

ChiXJeff said:
No idea on welding up the Auburn........ but I have an open carrier for a Chrysler 8.25 sitting on the shelf. It's yours if you want it.

Thanks Jeff, but I have one in my garage. I'm just to lazy to reset the gears.

I've never been inside an auburn, can ya take a pic of it? I'm bettin' no matter what type it is, we can burn some rod into it and lock it up solid. If it's the clutch type, don't put any additive in the gear oil. That locks em up pretty good.

do you really want to do that Scott?? come slippery roads you may not like that, or is this the way of keeping Steph out of it?? LOL

is this in your grand?

Fore Wheeler said:
do you really want to do that Scott?? come slippery roads you may not like that, or is this the way of keeping Steph out of it?? LOL

is this in your grand?

No, in the XJ. Since I have the ZJ for a daily driver, I want to lock up the rear end of the XJ.

scott, the only thing you would have to worry about is backlash.

and the 8 1/4 makes adjusting backlash so dayum easy!

your 8 1/4 is the last one I worked on, so my memory is foggy....

when you pull the carrier, don't you loose your backlash setting anyway?

I am planning on welding my rearend as well, Does anyone have pictures of exactly what and where to weld on a dana 35? Sorry I didnt mean to steal the thread just thought since the question was already there.

Not to burst any bubbles here... but I don't think you can Scott. With the way the unit is, you won't be able to get in there. Better off doing it right, lazy.
Auburn_LSD_Closeup.jpg

And CHI town is only 4 hours... if you drive the right way :laugh3:

Scott. I wanna weld my Auburn turd too, but FYI, Auburn has a buy back plan where you can send back a toasted Auburn and they will sell you a new one for like 80 bucks. I considered doing that and selling it, but I am lazy, as well, and may just fill mine with wire as I also have a DD, but need to drive my XJ to and from the trail. Let me know what you do. My Auburn never worked right.

On a side note. If I pull my Auburn (8.25) and reinsert my open carrier with welded gears, do I need to reset pinion depth, or only backlash. I can handle backlash, but I don't know about pinion depth.

TealV6 said:
Not to burst any bubbles here... but I don't think you can Scott. With the way the unit is, you won't be able to get in there. Better off doing it right, lazy.
Auburn_LSD_Closeup.jpg

And CHI town is only 4 hours... if you drive the right way :laugh3:

If you can see them, you can weld them. :) I see side and spider gears, looks easy enough to me. My 20 was a LS that I welded up no problem.

Back